Ameriprise Account does not provide details like my other brokerage accounts

Options
paminfl
paminfl Member ✭✭

I recently added an Ameriprise Account to quicken. When I added it, I don't recall that there were options for different Ameriprise connections (which I now see). There was a notice that this Ameriprise does not provide the level of details that otherr brokerages do. I went ahead and added it. BUt I am very unhappy that I don't see all the detail and complete transactions as I do on my other accounts. When I go into account details the Tracking Method is grayed out so that IU cannot change it. I need help in changing this info. I am running R55.15. thank you

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @paminfl,

In theory - since you just started this account in Quicken (according to your initial post above) - you should be able download the "transfer transactions" that "were moved from another brokerage account" again in the new account setup process. But if you are still concerned about losing data, I also suggest that you make a new backup of your datafile before you delete the account. That will allow you to potentially replicate those transactions from this backup to your new datafile.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@paminfl - A common theme from each of us: Always back up your data file before making changes to it. That way if something goes wrong the backup file can be restored and everything will be as it was prior to the change. Frequently backing up our data files is one of the most important things that we can do with our data files to safeguard the information in it.

I have my backup preferences set to automatically back up my data files after every session and to retain the last 40 backup files. Since I usually open/close my data files 1-2 times a day so this means I retain backups for the last 20-30 days which is more important than the actual number of backup files. For someone who only runs Quicken 1X per week, I would recommend retaining the last 4-6 backup files. For those who run Quicken every 2 days, then perhaps retaining the last 10-15 backup files. Sometimes when we make a change to Quicken we do not immediately see an issue it might have created. So by keeping backups covering at least the last 20-30 days gives us a cushion to be able to restore a "good" file should an issue be identified later.

One clarification about what I had suggested in my 1st post above: I was not talking about deleting the data file and starting the data file over from scratch. That would be overkill, IMO. I was talking about simply deleting only the specific investment account. If you find that doing this messes up something in your file, you can always restore that backup file to try doing one of the other methods suggested in this thread.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Which Ameriprise setup and connection are you set up with? It should show that on the Online Services tab of Account Details.

I suspect that you selected a setup that provides an Express Web Connect+ (EWC+) connection method. Some brokerages using EWC+ download only in Simple Investing which shows value and holdings but no transaction details.

If my assumption is correct, then you will not be able to change that account to Complete Investing which shows all of the transaction details. Your best bet would be to first back up your data file and then delete the account.

Once deleted, select one of the other Ameriprise setup connection options. Since you are wanting to connect a brokerage account I suggest you try using the one shaded in blue in the following picture. It sets up a Direct Connect (DC) connection which should support Complete Investing.:

Let me know if this resolved the issue for you.

(FYI: You posted this under a QMac category but it sounds like you are runnng QWin because of the R55.15 version you referenced and your profile shows you are running QWin. I have requested that a Moderator move your post to the appropriate QWin category so it gets appropriate attention and focus.)

• paminfl
    paminfl Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you. I was hoping to avoid deleting and restarting the account. Since the funds were moved from another brokerage account, I don't know how quicken will handle them. unfortunately I should have a addressed this a few weeks ago when I opened the account in Quicken. Sorry for posting under Mac Support. I missed the options when I posted. Keep your fingers crossed that I don't create a bigger problem.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @paminfl,

In theory - since you just started this account in Quicken (according to your initial post above) - you should be able download the "transfer transactions" that "were moved from another brokerage account" again in the new account setup process. But if you are still concerned about losing data, I also suggest that you make a new backup of your datafile before you delete the account. That will allow you to potentially replicate those transactions from this backup to your new datafile.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@paminfl if you are concerned about deleting the account, try deactivating the account, and then setting it up with the new FI and connection. I am not sure how the prior transactions would look since they were posted under the "simple" method, but at least you'll have something that you could update or adjust, rather than starting over.

As always, make a backup before making any changes to your data file.

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

@paminfl - A common theme from each of us: Always back up your data file before making changes to it. That way if something goes wrong the backup file can be restored and everything will be as it was prior to the change. Frequently backing up our data files is one of the most important things that we can do with our data files to safeguard the information in it.

I have my backup preferences set to automatically back up my data files after every session and to retain the last 40 backup files. Since I usually open/close my data files 1-2 times a day so this means I retain backups for the last 20-30 days which is more important than the actual number of backup files. For someone who only runs Quicken 1X per week, I would recommend retaining the last 4-6 backup files. For those who run Quicken every 2 days, then perhaps retaining the last 10-15 backup files. Sometimes when we make a change to Quicken we do not immediately see an issue it might have created. So by keeping backups covering at least the last 20-30 days gives us a cushion to be able to restore a "good" file should an issue be identified later.

One clarification about what I had suggested in my 1st post above: I was not talking about deleting the data file and starting the data file over from scratch. That would be overkill, IMO. I was talking about simply deleting only the specific investment account. If you find that doing this messes up something in your file, you can always restore that backup file to try doing one of the other methods suggested in this thread.

This discussion has been closed.