How to import csv or some other way to fix now uncategorized transactions (Q Mac)

Options
bambi
bambi Member ✭✭

Somehow I deleted a whole category and its subcategories. I did not delete transactions; just the category, so the transactions are all uncategorized. My last backup was 11 days ago (shame on me). I thought I could export all transactions for the past 11 days to csv (I did), then revert to my backup (with the categories intact) and import those recent transactions. How do I import them? Mint doesn't work… Or how else to fix my error? I have 23 years of data!. Ideas? Advice?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You can't (easily) import csv transactions in to Quicken Mac.

There are some workarounds, such as manipulating the data into the precise format required for a Mint import. You can see it explained in a post here. Note that this only works for banking-type transactions, not for investment-type transactions. If any transactions had splits, you will need to re-create them. There are also third-party utilities (paid software) which will convert a CSV file into a QFX file for importing. These aren't authorized by Quicken, and we can't are them here, but a search for CSV to QFX should point you in the right direction… although I doubt you'll wasn't to spend money to purchase software and get it configured right just to import 11 days of transactions.

Are any of your transactions from the past 11 days downloaded, or were they all manually-entered? If they were downloaded, reverting to an older backup should allow you to download them again. If they were manually-entered, well, you may find it's faster to just re-enter them than to mess around with trying to get a workable solution for importing the CSV data.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.