Im only keeping my dinosaur computer for Quicken HB 2010 (edit)

Options
cybsister
cybsister Member ✭✭
edited April 25 in Before you Buy

Hi all, and thank you for this forum.

I have a working version of Quicken Home and Business 2010.

The computer it runs on is so slow so I purchased a new computer.

When I do want to use Quicken, (which is just for simple banking, checkbook balancing, and occasionally searching for an expenditure) I must turn on the old computer and wait 1/2 a day for it to boot up so I can perform my few Quicken activities for the day.

I would have no problem with moving my Quicken data file to the new computer, however the software, itself, is on a cd, and the new computer doesn't have a CD drive.

Is it ludicrous to expect that I can run the old version (albeit without bank communication) on a newer computer?

And if it is NOT do-able, and I have to buy another version, what are my best options, particularly if I decide I want the flexibility of entering information when I'm traveling?

Thank you.

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You have Home & Business but are you using any of the Business functions and features? You said you only use it for "simple banking, checkbook balancing and occasionally searching for an expenditure" which doesn't sound like you are using the Business functions/features at all.

If you are not using the Business functions/features and you are OK with not having any of the online services features (such as downloading transactions from financial institutions, paying bills, etc.) you might want to consider upgrading to Quicken Deluxe 2013. You can download if for free from https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe.

However, if you do need some of the Business functions and features, do you still have a functional CD drive on your old computer? If so, you could try copying the program from the CD to a USB thumb drive. Then you should be able to install your Quicken H&B 2010 from the USB thumb drive. Note that Quicken 2010 has not been tested with Windows 10 or 11 so there is no guarantee that it will work properly but some have posted that they are able to use their Quicken 2010 on their Windows 10/11 systems. It would be worth trying, I think.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

start by installing the free 2013 Deluxe. I'm still using 2013. I like it. 2013 is the last good version before they started requiring an ID and since they went to the subscription model where if you don't renew about 25% of your screen is taken up with an ad to renew. You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

Then just copy your data file ending in .qdf to a flash drive to put on the new computer. To move your data file ending in .qdf get a flash drive.  If you don't have one they are cheap.  The data files and backups should be in your Documents in a Quicken folder.  I would just copy that whole folder to the flash drive.

How Do I Move Quicken Data Files Between Computers

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-move-my-quicken-data-file-one-computer-another

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

@cybsister -

So if I am NOT successful with the USB thumb drive/compatibility issue with Windows 11, what route would you recommend, given the
    following:

While I used to use the bank interface (before my version was no longer supported) and I also used to print checks (but that is no longer a need) it would be useful to again import bank information.

Additionally, I have some investment accounts, so interacting with those could prove helpful.

I'm not knowledgeable about the subscription service, but something that would allow me to enter data while traveling would be nice.

If you want to download from your bank you will need to order a subscription edition. Quicken.com used to have a really nice products comparison chart but they changed up their website over the last several months and now I cannot find that comprehensive chart. Too bad because it was exceptional in showing most of the differences between the various editions. Now it is, IMO, very difficult to maneuver through their website to figure out which has the best feature you are looking for. Anyway, you can search through their website at https://www.quicken.com/products/pricing-comparison/ to get a feel for what they have to offer.

Since you said nothing about needing Business functions & features, I am assuming you do not want nor need Quicken Classic Business & Personal (replaces Home & Business). No point in paying for features you don't want nor need.

I will also steer you away from Quicken Classic Starter because it does not include investments and if you let your subscription expire the program becomes read-only.

I will also steer you away from Quicken Simplifi which is a solely online platform because you cannot import you QWin 2010 data into it so it would mean starting everything over.

That leaves Quicken Classic Deluxe and Quicken Classic Premier. They are pretty much the same but Premier has some nicer investments reporting and graphics capabilities. Most people though, would be pretty happy with what Deluxe has to offer regarding investments and everything else and it is a little less expensive. Both will do everything you mentioned that you would like to do, including being able to download holdings and transactions from banks, credit card companies and investment companies.

If your new computer is a laptop then you are perfectly set up with either of these for when you travel because the program and data file is on the hard drive.

If your new computer is a desktop, then you can set up Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web (basically free addons to Deluxe and Premier) which will allow you the ability to access and update some of your financial data remotely.

Based upon what you mentioned I would suggest you start by ordering Deluxe. You can always upgrade later without needing to download/install a new program. All Quicken Classic edition use the same software. The subscription simply determines which features are turned on or off.

If, however, you don't want to pay for subscription and are OK with managing your file manually, then download and install that free Quicken Deluxe 2013. If your new computer is a laptop you can also use this wherever you take your laptop. But with this you will not have the Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web options so if your new computer is a desktop it will not be able to be used while traveling.

A final comment: With subscription you will need to renew your subscription every year to retain the downloading, Quicken Mobile and Quicken on the Web capabilities. If you choose not to resubscribe you will lose these (and other online services features). You will still be able to use the program manually but you will have banners taking up about 20% of the Quicken screen reminding you to renew your subscription. The only way to get rid of those banners is to resubscribe.

I hope this helps you some.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited March 24 Answer ✓
    Options

@cybsister -

Since someone asked about Business Functions: I am not opposed to using business functions for importing banking data--I remember it being useful--I just got out of the habit when they nixed that capability. Automatic importing of Schwab/Fidelity data might also make opting for
    that "version" worthwhile.

I should clarify what I mean by Business functions: These are features/functions in the Business & Personal edition that support personal businesses such as home rentals. They allow recording and tracking business income and expenses, do invoicing and record payment receipts, etc.

Importing banking data is available with all of the Quicken Classic editions.

Downloading and importing of Schwab/Fidelity data is also available with Deluxe, Premier and Business & Personal. So there is no need to buy Business & Personal for this functionality.

Ideally, I'd like to do an entry on one, perhaps on the PC at home, which would be updated on the laptop (and vice versa.)

Quicken Classic is designed to be installed and run on a single computer. It is not designed for the same data file to be run on multiple computers. There are ways to be able to do this but unless one is very carefully disciplined in following the protocol it is very easy to corrupt the data file in ways that cannot be fixed so there can be loss of data. Because of this I usually recommend against trying to use Quicken in this manner.

Am I correct in thinking that Deluxe subscription with the mobile add-ons is a good way to go, based on how I've further elaborated my needs and preferences?

Deluxe subscription would be a good way to go if you plan to install and run your data file on a single computer. Once installed you can optionally turn on the Mobile (phone) and/or Web (Internet browser) features so you can view and update some (not all) of your financial data remotely…either via your Smart phone, a tablet or other computer.

But if you want to be able to have your data file on both your desktop and on your laptop with full functionality and capability in both, I would not recommend any Quicken Classic edition. Instead I would recommend that you go with Quicken Simplifi (which is also less expensive). This is an online-only application with no software to install nor will there be any data file on your hard drive…it will all be on a Cloud server. It will allow you to access and update all of your data from any device with a browser that you can access the Internet with. But as mentioned earlier, you will not be able to import your current Quicken 2010 data so you would need to start your Simplifi profile from scratch.

If you go with the Simplifi option and you want to retain the historical data, you will need to install your Quicken 2010 or install and upgrade to Quicken 2013 on one of your computers. Then you can access your historical data there when you find the need to. But it will not be visible in Simplifi.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

You have Home & Business but are you using any of the Business functions and features? You said you only use it for "simple banking, checkbook balancing and occasionally searching for an expenditure" which doesn't sound like you are using the Business functions/features at all.

If you are not using the Business functions/features and you are OK with not having any of the online services features (such as downloading transactions from financial institutions, paying bills, etc.) you might want to consider upgrading to Quicken Deluxe 2013. You can download if for free from https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe.

However, if you do need some of the Business functions and features, do you still have a functional CD drive on your old computer? If so, you could try copying the program from the CD to a USB thumb drive. Then you should be able to install your Quicken H&B 2010 from the USB thumb drive. Note that Quicken 2010 has not been tested with Windows 10 or 11 so there is no guarantee that it will work properly but some have posted that they are able to use their Quicken 2010 on their Windows 10/11 systems. It would be worth trying, I think.

• cybsister
    cybsister Member ✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac thank you.

So if I am NOT successful with the USB thumb drive/compatibility issue with Windows 11, what route would you recommend, given the following:

While I used to use the bank interface (before my version was no longer supported) and I also used to print checks (but that is no longer a need) it would be useful to again import bank information.

Additionally, I have some investment accounts, so interacting with those could prove helpful.

I'm not knowledgeable about the subscription service, but something that would allow me to enter data while traveling would be nice.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23
    Options

External USB CD Drive could be another option.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

start by installing the free 2013 Deluxe. I'm still using 2013. I like it. 2013 is the last good version before they started requiring an ID and since they went to the subscription model where if you don't renew about 25% of your screen is taken up with an ad to renew. You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

Then just copy your data file ending in .qdf to a flash drive to put on the new computer. To move your data file ending in .qdf get a flash drive.  If you don't have one they are cheap.  The data files and backups should be in your Documents in a Quicken folder.  I would just copy that whole folder to the flash drive.

How Do I Move Quicken Data Files Between Computers

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-move-my-quicken-data-file-one-computer-another

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

@cybsister -

So if I am NOT successful with the USB thumb drive/compatibility issue with Windows 11, what route would you recommend, given the
    following:

If you want to download from your bank you will need to order a subscription edition. Quicken.com used to have a really nice products comparison chart but they changed up their website over the last several months and now I cannot find that comprehensive chart. Too bad because it was exceptional in showing most of the differences between the various editions. Now it is, IMO, very difficult to maneuver through their website to figure out which has the best feature you are looking for. Anyway, you can search through their website at https://www.quicken.com/products/pricing-comparison/ to get a feel for what they have to offer.

Since you said nothing about needing Business functions & features, I am assuming you do not want nor need Quicken Classic Business & Personal (replaces Home & Business). No point in paying for features you don't want nor need.

I will also steer you away from Quicken Classic Starter because it does not include investments and if you let your subscription expire the program becomes read-only.

I will also steer you away from Quicken Simplifi which is a solely online platform because you cannot import you QWin 2010 data into it so it would mean starting everything over.

That leaves Quicken Classic Deluxe and Quicken Classic Premier. They are pretty much the same but Premier has some nicer investments reporting and graphics capabilities. Most people though, would be pretty happy with what Deluxe has to offer regarding investments and everything else and it is a little less expensive. Both will do everything you mentioned that you would like to do, including being able to download holdings and transactions from banks, credit card companies and investment companies.

If your new computer is a laptop then you are perfectly set up with either of these for when you travel because the program and data file is on the hard drive.

If your new computer is a desktop, then you can set up Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web (basically free addons to Deluxe and Premier) which will allow you the ability to access and update some of your financial data remotely.

Based upon what you mentioned I would suggest you start by ordering Deluxe. You can always upgrade later without needing to download/install a new program. All Quicken Classic edition use the same software. The subscription simply determines which features are turned on or off.

If, however, you don't want to pay for subscription and are OK with managing your file manually, then download and install that free Quicken Deluxe 2013. If your new computer is a laptop you can also use this wherever you take your laptop. But with this you will not have the Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web options so if your new computer is a desktop it will not be able to be used while traveling.

A final comment: With subscription you will need to renew your subscription every year to retain the downloading, Quicken Mobile and Quicken on the Web capabilities. If you choose not to resubscribe you will lose these (and other online services features). You will still be able to use the program manually but you will have banners taking up about 20% of the Quicken screen reminding you to renew your subscription. The only way to get rid of those banners is to resubscribe.

I hope this helps you some.

• cybsister
    cybsister Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you @Boatnmaniac for your most thorough and easy-to-understand reply. And @volvogirl and @retird for additional helpful input.

I, too, was unsuccessful in finding a "compare" sheet on the Quicken website, which is why I turned to this support forum.

I will try the download 2013 version approach first, likely as an easy fix to at least work on my new PC and then I can trash the "dinosaur."

However, I am also eager to look into how the option works that would give me flexibility to enter data from the road.

In addition to the new PC, I have a relatively new laptop. Ideally, I'd like to do an entry on one, perhaps on the PC at home, which would be updated on the laptop (and vice versa.) Also, to possibly check a Quicken entry on my cell phone, if a question arose when not near a computer. So the mobile apps would be helpful.

Since someone asked about Business Functions: I am not opposed to using business functions for importing banking data--I remember it being useful--I just got out of the habit when they nixed that capability. Automatic importing of Schwab/Fidelity data might also make opting for that "version" worthwhile.

Am I correct in thinking that Deluxe subscription with the mobile add-ons is a good way to go, based on how I've further elaborated my needs and preferences?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When I do want to use Quicken, (which is just for simple banking, checkbook balancing, and occasionally searching for an expenditure) 

if you want to use something very basic and simple -
    you might also take a look at the Quicken SIMPLIFI online web based product -
    It can't import any existing Quicken Classic data though -

https://www.quicken.com/lp/ppc/brand-simplifi/

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    edited March 24 Answer ✓
    Options

@cybsister -

Since someone asked about Business Functions: I am not opposed to using business functions for importing banking data--I remember it being useful--I just got out of the habit when they nixed that capability. Automatic importing of Schwab/Fidelity data might also make opting for
    that "version" worthwhile.

I should clarify what I mean by Business functions: These are features/functions in the Business & Personal edition that support personal businesses such as home rentals. They allow recording and tracking business income and expenses, do invoicing and record payment receipts, etc.

Importing banking data is available with all of the Quicken Classic editions.

Downloading and importing of Schwab/Fidelity data is also available with Deluxe, Premier and Business & Personal. So there is no need to buy Business & Personal for this functionality.

Ideally, I'd like to do an entry on one, perhaps on the PC at home, which would be updated on the laptop (and vice versa.)

Quicken Classic is designed to be installed and run on a single computer. It is not designed for the same data file to be run on multiple computers. There are ways to be able to do this but unless one is very carefully disciplined in following the protocol it is very easy to corrupt the data file in ways that cannot be fixed so there can be loss of data. Because of this I usually recommend against trying to use Quicken in this manner.

Deluxe subscription would be a good way to go if you plan to install and run your data file on a single computer. Once installed you can optionally turn on the Mobile (phone) and/or Web (Internet browser) features so you can view and update some (not all) of your financial data remotely…either via your Smart phone, a tablet or other computer.

But if you want to be able to have your data file on both your desktop and on your laptop with full functionality and capability in both, I would not recommend any Quicken Classic edition. Instead I would recommend that you go with Quicken Simplifi (which is also less expensive). This is an online-only application with no software to install nor will there be any data file on your hard drive…it will all be on a Cloud server. It will allow you to access and update all of your data from any device with a browser that you can access the Internet with. But as mentioned earlier, you will not be able to import your current Quicken 2010 data so you would need to start your Simplifi profile from scratch.

If you go with the Simplifi option and you want to retain the historical data, you will need to install your Quicken 2010 or install and upgrade to Quicken 2013 on one of your computers. Then you can access your historical data there when you find the need to. But it will not be visible in Simplifi.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24
    Options

Quickern vs Simplifi Video

[Removed - Third-Party Reference]

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In addition to the new PC, I have a relatively new laptop. Ideally, I'd like to do an entry on one, perhaps on the PC at home, which would be updated on the laptop (and vice versa.) Also, to possibly check a Quicken entry on my cell phone, if a question arose when not near a computer. So the mobile apps would be helpful.

Quicken is not setup to handle the sharing of data between multiple desktop computers -
    Only one desktop computer would hold the Quicken QDF data file - and any other "devices" would then be able to use the Quicken browser webpage - Quicken On The Web - or the Quicken Mobile App for iPhone or Android -
    You could manually share the Quicken QDF data file - by manually copying it back and forth between desktop and laptop -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.