Investment accounts are grouped differently in Account Bar and Account Balances report

Options
rickdisney
rickdisney Member ✭✭
edited April 28 in Reports (Windows)

I am using Q Classic Deluxe, R55.15, build 27.1.55.15.

My wife and I have 6 IRA accounts (Regular, Roth and Inherited). In the Account Bar, all 6 accounts appear and subtotal under the "Investing" heading. But in my custom Account Balances report 2 of the accounts are grouped subtotaled under Asset Accounts and the rest under Investment Accounts. The 2 accounts were set up when I first started using Q 25 years ago and the rest set up between 2-15 years ago.

When I click on the Edit button on the Account list, I can see the first 2 are set up different than the newer 4 accounts. For the first 2 under Display Options there is a drop down box for "Account Intent" and I have selected "Retirement" which is correct. For the other 4 there is no drop down box. Also when I click Edit the Account Details there are 2 tabs for the 2 older accounts: General and Display options. But for the 4 newer accounts there are 3 tabs: General, Online Services and Display options.

I am guessing that the differences between the 2 and 4 accounts have to do with how I set them up initially or perhaps a change in Quicken regarding account setup that occurred between the times each was set up.

I want the six accounts to all appear together and subtotal in both the Account Bar and the Account Balances report. I have tried everything I can think of to change their account setup, etc. but nothing changes how they currently appear. Is it even possible to change them? Or any other ideas?

Tagged:

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are two account properties at work here - the Account Type and the Account Intent. It sounds as if you set up the older accounts as Asset accounts rather than Investing accounts.

To check this, click on the gear at the top right of each of the accounts and select Edit account details. What does it say next to "Account type"?

Let us know and we can give further guidance.

QWin Premier subscription
  • rickdisney
    rickdisney Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes the two older accounts show Account Type as Asset and the four newer have a drop down menu listing the types of IRA. Is there a way to change the account type?

What still puzzles me is that all 6 accounts show up in the Account Bar show as part of the Investing heading. But differently in my Account Balances report as I described above.

Thanks for your help.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

All the accounts are under Investing on the Account Bar because you have set the Account Intent on the Asset accounts to Investing. This causes them to be grouped with the investing accounts in some but not all places in Quicken.

For example, setting the intent to Investing does not make them be included in the Portfolio views, and the Investment Performance Report has blank lines where the information from any non-investing accounts should be.

To convert an Asset account to Investing, you could create an Investing account then transfer the value of the Asset account to the new account and enter Buy transactions for the securities in the account to add the securities.

QWin Premier subscription
  • rickdisney
    rickdisney Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Jim.

This discussion has been closed.