Cannot Match Downloaded Transactions (Q Mac)

Options
Frank DeMello
Frank DeMello Member ✭✭✭

Hello - Long time Windows user. Converted my file today since I would like to move to the MAC version and l plan to run dual for awhile until I am comfortable. However some things are certainly harder such as matching downloaded transactions. I normally record my transactions manually and match as they get downloaded. Very easy in Windows. On the MAC I keep getting duplicates in my register making changes in account balances and I cannot figure out how to match. I have seen posts where you drop one transaction on the other (doesn't work) or hit the Edit/Pencil and match manually (no option to do that).

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

Frank, Turn on the Matched Status column and the Clr column (menu View > Columns). Those columns will give you lots of good information.

The most common reason that Quicken refuses to match with drag and drop is that one of the transactions is already matched (probably to the wrong target). The Match Status column will let you see that easily. You can un-match an incorrectly matched transaction by right clicking on it and selecting the Reject Match command.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

It's easier than Windows via the drag and drop but cannot think of why that doesn't work for you. You drag the downloaded (checkmarked) transaction on top of the matching uncleared transaction… boom, download gone and uncleared transaction is matched/cleared. Should see a physical rectangle of the transaction being dragged.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• Frank DeMello
    Frank DeMello Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hmm.

I don't see any checkmarked transactions. Only new transactions with a blue dot. And I can't drag & drop those on the manually entered one. Also seeing duplicates on an account I DO NOT enter the transactions manually:

Thank you

• RickO
    Answer ✓
    Options

Frank, Turn on the Matched Status column and the Clr column (menu View > Columns). Those columns will give you lots of good information.

The most common reason that Quicken refuses to match with drag and drop is that one of the transactions is already matched (probably to the wrong target). The Match Status column will let you see that easily. You can un-match an incorrectly matched transaction by right clicking on it and selecting the Reject Match command.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Since you converted from Windows, some of your transactions downloaded in Windows; now that you switched to Quicken Mac, some of them are downloading again. Quicken doesn't allow matching downloaded transactions with downloaded transactions. This should be a short-lived problem. If you can't match duplicate transactions, just delete them to get past this start-up problem.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Frank DeMello
    Frank DeMello Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks guys. Helpful tips. Going to take a while to get used to this though 😀 What is the difference between the Blue & Green checkmarks?

Thank you

• RickO
    Options

Blue means the transaction has been cleared by the bank. It will be set automatically when you download a transaction, or can be set manually by clicking the open square in that column.

Green checkmark means the transaction is both cleared and reconciled.

You may want to take a read through https://www.quicken.com/blog/complete-guide-getting-started-quicken-mac/ or better yet, click the Help menu, then Getting Started Guide.

• Frank DeMello
    Frank DeMello Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks everyone

• jacobs
    Options

If the transaction was originally downloaded in Quicken Windows, and possibly matched with a manual transaction, and then downloads again in Quicken Mac, you can't drag two downloaded transactions over one another to merge them; you just need to delete one.

This is a temporary/one-time problem, because once the duplicate transactions download the first time in Quicken Mac, and you clear up the duplicates, your transactions going forward will be new and there won't be any duplicates.

If you create a manual transaction which subsequently downloads, you'll see that either Quicken Mac will auto-match them, or you can drag one over the other.

• Shelster
    Shelster Member ✭✭
    Options

I've never had used the Windows product, but I'd hoped that this thread would help me with my matching problem. All I see in the "Match Status" column is one of three values {"Downloaded", "Matched(auto)", <null>}

I went through the exercise of matching a recent transaction to its match. The "Match Status" value didn't change. Per @jacobs , "Quicken doesn't allow matching downloaded transactions with downloaded transactions" is a short-lived issue. When might we expect a fix? Deleting downloaded transactions is anathema to my confidence in ever again being able to report a data integrity bug. I've spend six hours dealing with fewer transactions because, in part, in the process I did delete a transaction that I was unable to get working again. It showed up on my registers, TWICE in one of them, but not in the transactions report that was listing all accounts, including transfers, for all categories.

• jacobs
    Options

Per @jacobs , "Quicken doesn't allow matching downloaded transactions with downloaded transactions" is a short-lived issue. When might we expect a fix?

No, you misunderstood my post when I wrote that. That was in reply to a user who had recently converted from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac and was having some post-transition issues with duplicate transactions. Deleting some duplicate downloaded transactions due to the transition was a necessary solution to his problem. That's what I was saying would be a short-lived problem; the duplicates wouldn't recur.

Downloaded transactions from a financial institution can be matched to manually-entered transactions, including scheduled/reminder transactions. Quicken will doesn't let you match one downloaded transaction to another downloaded transaction; that's not a bug, so I would not be expecting a "fix" for that, ever.

You said "Deleting downloaded transactions is anathema to my confidence in ever again being able to report a data integrity bug." So surely you wouldn't want to be able to merge two different transacitons downloaded form a financial institution into one, either, right? The only time transactions normally download in duplicate is when one switches connection method (e.g. Quicken Connect to Web Connect), where the unique transaction ID numbers which prevent duplicates from entering Quicken may have changed.

Or if you're talking about a transaction transferring money from one account to another, like a credit card payment, the downloads from each account will include the money in/out of that account. In that case, you might want to delete one of those downloaded transactions and make the other into a linked transfer between the accounts in Quicken.

It showed up on my registers, TWICE in one of them, but not in the transactions report that was listing all accounts, including transfers, for all categories.

I guess I'm not following here. A transaction in a register will show up in a report if the report is properly configured. Again, it's a relational database, so if a transaction record exists, it will appear in any register, report, Dashboard total, etc. unless the register/reporto/Dashboard has been configured to not include it. In a decade of using modern Quicken Mac, I haven't seen any reports that contradict that. Without more details, I'd guess that something in the report setup was causing the transactions to not show up. (I saw you had a post similar to this yesterday, but that was about Search, not reports, so perhaps I'm not clear on which you're talking about.)