How can I find all spending transactions for which I have not added a budget category

Options
Flotzam
Flotzam Member ✭✭

I can find the "Everything Else" list, but that does not have a way to jump to entries in the account registers.

I want to find all transactions with categories that I have not budgeted and change them to categories that I have budgeted.

The only way I am able to do this is very time consuming - I need to see a category in the everything else list and then go to the spending screen and find that category in the pie chart and click on it to bring up the transactions.

Is there any way to collect all such transactions in a single report or filter for them?

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The only method that I can think of is to produce the "Income and Expense by Category" report, without transaction detail …. just totals, and then manually compare that to your budget categories.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The only method that I can think of is to produce the "Income and Expense by Category" report, without transaction detail …. just totals, and then manually compare that to your budget categories.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Flotzam Have you had a look at the Spending tab. Based on your filtering choices you can see and drill-down your uncategorized transactions. There is also a register where you can make changes. Image. Does this help?

• Flotzam
    Flotzam Member ✭✭
    edited March 26
    Options

Thanks for the response. The transactions I am interested in are categorized, not uncategorized. They are in categories that are not included in my budget, and I don't want to budget for those categories, so I need to re-categorize the transactions to some category that I do budget for.

I did a lot of categorizing of historical transactions before I got to the point of creating a budget, and some of the categories I used are not really useful to me in budgeting so I have some housecleaning to do.

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Ah yes, my mistake! Yes it is unnecessarily tedious. I once did an idea post that would allow drill down from the anything else category so that a user can review and correct category errors. I would post it for you but moderators archived the post so most users would not be able to see or vote.

• Richard Schreyer
    Richard Schreyer Member ✭✭
    Options

Create a new budget, include ONLY those categories that you really do not budget, run budget report and you should have your listing by catgory that you can mass change…..

This discussion has been closed.