Switched from Ameritrade to Schwab

Options
crescere
crescere Member ✭✭

My TD Ameritrade was switched to Charles Schwab. I want to keep the historical information for my IRA from Ameritrade. So how do I switch the download site and my new login information without losing the history? Will all this transfer over automatically? Thanks in advance to all who help.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You have two ways of going here:

1. Transfer the securities from the old Account to a newly created Investment Account (Shares Transferred Between Accounts action) that's not set up for downloading. Then set up the Account for downloading, telling Quicken the Financial Institution is Schwab and when the Account is found at Schwab LINK that to the new Quicken Account. All the history of all the transactions will be available in the old Quicken Account.
    2. Disconnect the old Account from downloading. That allows you to clear the Financial Institution and Account Number fields. Then establish downloading again in the old Account, specifying Schwab as the FI. LINK the account found at Schwab to the old Quicken Account.

• crescere
    crescere Member ✭✭
    Options

Tom, I did option 2, and now have numerous placeholder entries. I've had these before, and I don't want them. I wanted the history of my prior transactions included in my account but those are all gone. I wish Quicken never invented placeholder entries.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"I wanted the history of my prior transactions included in my account but those are all gone."

I've used this process maybe a half a dozen times over the years and have never encountered that so I have no idea what actually happened. In fact that's the method I used when my two TD Ameritrade accounts moved to Schwab. I wouldn't be surprised by the Placeholders however since I believe the majority of the accounts moved in September of last year and I think that Schwab might have shortened the period for "historical" information to 90 days in this case.

There's nothing wrong with restoring your backup and going to option 1 if, for whatever reason, option 2 didn't work and you don't want to give that option another try. Instead of doing a Quicken "Restore" instead use Windows File Explorer to find that backup and change the name of that file to the exact same name as your "live" file (Name).QDF, then copy that file into your Quicken Documents folder where it "replaces" your current messed up live file. This process avoids the "syncing" process Quicken goes through with a conventional Quicken Restore, a process that can create its own issues.

This discussion has been closed.