Mac Quicken subscription typing issues

Options

I have a peculiar problem with Quicken for Mac. All has worked, for years, but recently Quicken does not accept any data entry from my keyboard. I am unable to edit payees or memo/notes as I have been for years. Whenever I click the space key, the whole Quicken workspace is encased in a solid border around the perimeter of the workspace. Very annoying and I prefer to input more detail in the memo/notes fields for future reference.

Anyone having this issue? Any advice?

Thank you.

Best Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

Did you deliberately turn FKA on? If not, most people don't need it - it's primarily intended for folks who can't use a mouse or trackpad & need to do mousey things via the keyboard instead.

If you do use FKA and it's suddenly started acting different, I'm afraid I can't be much help with that as I don't use it myself (plus I'm going to be driving all day today). Hopefully there's someone on the forums who's more familiar with FKA & can chime in.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

I agree with @Jon that people who have reported this inability to type spaces in text fields need to turn off Full Keyboard Access to restore normal typing.

If you're someone who actually needs the functionality of macOS Full Keyboard Access, my only suggestion is to try a keyboard command which Apple says will "pause" or engage "pass-through mode" to temporarily turn Full Keyboard Access off. Press Command-Option-Control-P to toggle if off and on. I haven't tried this with Quicken to see if it will achieve the desired effect, but it seems like it should.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

This does sound strange. What version of Quicken and of macOS are you using.

Have you restarted the computer? That would be the very first troubleshooting step.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Marc Warner
    Marc Warner Member
    Options

Quicken Classic Deluxe - Version 7.6.1. I have not restored my computer, but I can.

• Marc Warner
    Marc Warner Member
    Options

Just restored my iMac, the issue still remains.

• Marc Warner
    Marc Warner Member
    Options

Restarted, not restored. Sorry.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing while the problem occurs?

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Jon
    Options

This sounds sort of like Full Keyboard Access. Go to the System Settings, select the Accessibility tab, and see if Full keyboard Access is turned on.

• Marc Warner
    Marc Warner Member
    Options

Yes, Full Keyboard is on. I'd post a screen shot, but that would include personal / confidential data.

• Marc Warner
    Marc Warner Member
    Options

Thus far, the only workaround is for me to type my memo in a word doc or text, then copy/paste the desired verbiage into the Quicken memo and/or the payee. Annoying.

• Jon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Did you deliberately turn FKA on? If not, most people don't need it - it's primarily intended for folks who can't use a mouse or trackpad & need to do mousey things via the keyboard instead.

If you do use FKA and it's suddenly started acting different, I'm afraid I can't be much help with that as I don't use it myself (plus I'm going to be driving all day today). Hopefully there's someone on the forums who's more familiar with FKA & can chime in.

• Marc Warner
    Marc Warner Member
    Options

Thank you for your effort to assist.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

I agree with @Jon that people who have reported this inability to type spaces in text fields need to turn off Full Keyboard Access to restore normal typing.

If you're someone who actually needs the functionality of macOS Full Keyboard Access, my only suggestion is to try a keyboard command which Apple says will "pause" or engage "pass-through mode" to temporarily turn Full Keyboard Access off. Press Command-Option-Control-P to toggle if off and on. I haven't tried this with Quicken to see if it will achieve the desired effect, but it seems like it should.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Marc Warner
    Marc Warner Member
    Options

Thanks guys. I turned off the Full Keyboard Access and that seems to have remedied most of the data entry issues. Have a great day.