How to handle converting from Vanguard mutual fund into ETF

Options
bha
bha Member
edited March 29 in Investing (Windows)

I know this has been covered before, but I do not see any responses regarding the aftermath.

If I convert a Vanguard MF to the corresponding ETF, Vanguard does not consider this a sale or taxable event.

It seems that using Transactions—>Mutual Fund Conversion is the best way to handle this in Quicken.

However, can anyone who has done this confirm that the cost basis was maintained properly in Quicken? I'm asking because of non-covered shares that I am responsible for reporting when sold.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you use the Mutual Fund Conversion and the mutual fund is not set to "Use average cost", the lots, purchase dates, and cost basis in Quicken will carry over from the mutual fund to the ETF.

With non-covered shares, this may or may not agree with Vanguard's cost basis calculation.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Assuming you DON'T have this particular mutual fund in other Accounts in your Quicken file you can also use the "Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock)" Action, an Action that doesn't suffer from the "average cost" bug.

• bha
    bha Member
    Options

Thanks, everyone