Reactivating one step update freezing

Options

Quicken Classic Premier, Release R55, 15. Several accounts needed to be reactivated. After I initiate "Set up Now" the "Add Account" pop-up appears. After I continue, enter in the account userid and password and push "Connect" button the next screen appears and goes into the continuous circle of (no) progress. Seem to remember that I had to deactivate browser shield for the site and tried to do so. Still get hung at same point. Suggestions, please. Using Brave browser.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @danscottcptx,

To help troubleshoot this issue, please provide more information. Since you mention your browser, is this one of the financial institutions where you have to authorize through their website in order to connect/reconnect in Quicken? If so, you may want to try temporarily setting a different browser as default so that you can authorize/reauthorize those accounts. Brave browser is known to block communication with Quicken, which causes issues with that process.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• danscottcptx
    danscottcptx Member
    Options

Also tried Edge.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Since using a different browser didn't correct the issue, the next troubleshooting step is to initiate the process a different way. To do that, first, backup your Quicken file. Then, deactivate the accounts that need to be reauthorized. Once those accounts are deactivated, please go to Tools>Add Account and follow the prompts. If the issue is resolved and you're able to successfully authorize the accounts, make sure to carefully link the accounts to the correct nicknames in Quicken.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• danscottcptx
    danscottcptx Member
    Options

Hi Kristina,

Reason I'm in this mess is because Quicken keeps deactivating my accounts to "improve" download services. They have done this for three of my institutions: Paypal Credit, Costco CitiCard, and my Edward Jones brokerage accounts. When I try to reactivate I select the institution, the Add Account popup appears, I press Continue, and then the next popup just hangs trying to connect. I have deactivated all firewalls and antivirus, tried different browsers. Called Quicken Support and had them try everything they could. At this point I am ready to drop my subscription since automatic downloads are the only thing I can't get with Excel/Python/Visual Basic. Sigh.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

What kind of message are you seeing that's telling you to improve the connection for your accounts? If possible, could you provide a screenshot of the message you're seeing (with any personal information redacted)? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• danscottcptx
    danscottcptx Member
    Options

Sorry Christina. Those happened long ago. I believe they were changing to the new web connect method.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Do you recall when the issue started? Did it happen to all three financial institutions at once? Do you recall if there was anything else that happened around the time the issue started (such as a power outage, unexpected program or computer shutdown, program update, etc.)?

This issue may be a file specific issue. To start troubleshooting that, if you haven't done so already, please try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• danscottcptx
    danscottcptx Member
    Options

Hi Christina. It happened on three different days, once per institution. No other anomalies at the time. This has happened in the past and usually the telephone support line could get me past it, usually by temporarily suspending ant-virus and firewalls. No joy this time. I have validated and repaired several times. Tried super validating. Still hangs while trying to reconnect.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Which anti-virus and firewalls do you use? Do you use a VPN also?

I can see that you spoke with Support earlier this month; did you talk to them about this issue, or something else?

Have you tried restoring a backup from before the problem started, if possible, and tested to see if the issue persists in the restored file?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina