Restore the old "t" to add sales tax to an item (Q Mac)

Options
Dtinen
Dtinen Member ✭✭

When a transaction is split into multiple categories, it would be nice if the AMOUNT of each split could easily be increased by the state sales tax amount. Quicken used to do this years ago: when the cursor is in an amount field, you could press the "t" key and it would add your preset sales tax to that field.

Tools $10.00

—press the "t" key and it automatically changes the amount to $10.50, if in a setting you set your sales tax to 5%.

This is useful when you buy things in different categories on one receipt, and want to know your actual net cost.

I'm NOT proposing that this keeps a record of sales tax, and NOT proposing more than one percentage of tax (e.g., city, liquor, etc.)—you just enter your percentage into a setting like it's a QuickFill.

When Quicken used to do this I found it handier than the present method of having to use the calculator in the amount field and multiplying every entry by "1.05", for example.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

It was called QuickMath in Quicken for Mac 2007. Here's the Idea post on it:

As of last August, it is marked as planned by the development team.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Dtinen
    Dtinen Member ✭✭
    Options

Looking forward to it!

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Yes, many of us longtime Quicken Mac users have been waiting for this for a long time! The previous Mac product manager said he had it scheduled to be implemented several years ago, and something derailed the person who was going to code it. Unfortunately, it's been on the back burner for years now. I feel confident it will come eventually, but with all the significant features the developers marked as "Planned" last year, I'm not holding my breath that the next-generation QuickMath is coming soon. But I eagerly open each new release hoping… 🤣

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I will add that I use a tool called Keyboard Maestro to implement my version of QuickMath. KM is a general purpose macro tool for macOS. It costs $35 (one time). It's extremely powerful and useful for all kinds of automation, but pretty easy to set up to replicate QuickMath. If anyone wants details on how to set it up for QuickMath, I can post those details. (Disclaimer: I have no financial relationship with KM.)

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s