Balance Changes when Filtering for "This Year" - Quicken MAC

Options
DMLC
DMLC Member

I have been using quicken for years and dealing with the bugs associated. The latest one that has become very confounding is the change in Balance on my register when I filter for "This Year". I wanted to simplify what I was seeing in my quicken file to see transactions from this year only and the balance changes immediately when the filter is added. In the past (2022) I have duplicated the file and started over with the opening balances beginning with the start of the year, but it is a lot of work….and isn't that what filters are supposed to do for you???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to why this is happening, and if there is a fix in the process???? Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@DMLC I've just been trying this in my Quicken file, and I'm not experiencing what you describe. That is, when I change to filter for This Year, I don't see the balance change. I tried this in several accounts. So let's try to figure out what is different in your set-up than mine…

• What type of account? Checking, credit card, any/all?
    • When the balance changes for you, is it the balance in the upper right of the screen, in the running Balance column, or both?
    • In the upper right, is your balance set to "Today's Balance"?
    • Is your register sorts by Date?
    • Do you have most recent transactions at the top or bottom? (If at the bottom, could you try clicking the Date heading to switch to most recent at the top.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 30
    Options

I can't get that to happen if the transactions are sorted by date (in either direction). I do see it happen if the account is sorted by some other column, but in that case the numbers in the Balance column are wrong anyway so it doesn't really matter.

The reason appears to be that when you sort by date it uses the correct starting balance even when filtering (so the transactions that are not displayed still contribute to the final balance), but when sorting by some other column it just starts from zero and adds & subtracts only the transactions that are displayed (so the transactions that are not displayed do not contribute to the final balance).

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.