TD Bank -- Can't update online services - migrating to EWC+ (edit)

Options
Bob Ru
Bob Ru Member ✭✭

I am customer of TD Bank, with multiple accounts under two usernames. I received notification that I needed to update the method of connecting Quicken to TD for one username by a deadline that's coming up this week. When i started the process Quicken crashed. Since then, Quicken says that there is no online service for the account accessed by that username. When i try to update the connection method from the Account Details page for the account, it gets to a screen that allows me to type in the username and password, but then reports "sorry we encountered an error (It's not your fault)." the Quicken error page provides a link to a page on TD's website that doesn't exist. Luckily, this is a low-activity savings account, so I'm not missing out on many transactions, but I'm concerned about what will happen with the other username after the upcoming week's deadline. I've searched online, and don't see anything about this, either on Quicken's website or TD Bank's. HELP!

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Bob Ru,

TD Bank is migrating to Express Web Connect + (EWC+), which is probably why you got that message.

To get that account reconnected, please follow these steps:

1. Backup your Quicken file.
    2. Deactivate the problem account.
    3. Go to Tools>Add Account and follow the prompts.
    4. Once you're back on the Add/Link screen, make sure to link the account to the correct nickname in Quicken.

Following those steps should take you through the proper authorization process and get that account reconnected.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Bob Ru
    Bob Ru Member ✭✭
    Options

First, haven't used EWC+ to connect with TD Bank for years — up to now it's been on Direct Connect. Second, the account is not currently connected, so can't be deactivated. Third, if I create a second Quicken "account" for this, won't that mean there are two accounts in the Account list for the same banking account? Why would I possibly want that?

Quicken has this habit of crashing at the most inopportune times. In fact, Quicken is more likely to crash than any other program i use (and not counting windows internal programs, i have over 30 programs loaded, and about 15 that i use with some regularity). Frankly, i've stopped being impressed with the product for at least a couple of years now. I've written to Intuit about other issues, and none of them seem to get resolved.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

If your TD accounts are connected via Direct Connect, then they should not need to migrate to Express Web Connect + (EWC+). Since you mentioned that the issue with being unable to reconnect your account happened after Quicken crashed, I recommend that you restore a backup from before that crash happened.

In the newly restored backup, if you get a prompt to migrate your accounts, that may indicate Quicken is seeing some accounts that are connected via Express Web Connect (EWC) rather than Direct Connect. The prompt should show the names of the accounts that Quicken thinks need to be reauthorized. I'd recommend taking note of those account names, then going to Tools>Account List and searching for those specific accounts. If they are inactive or closed accounts that shouldn't be connecting in Quicken anyway, then you can deactivate them so that you stop getting that prompt to reauthorize.

You mention that Quicken crashes relatively frequently. About how often does it crash? Is there anything that seems to trigger these crashes? Do you recall when this issue with crashes first started? Do you keep your Quicken file directly on your local hard drive, or is it on a shared/network drive? Do you have your Quicken file synced with any cloud services (like OneDrive, iCloud, Dropbox, etc.)?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Bob Ru,

I haven't heard back from you in a while. Did you still need assistance?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

wonder which exact TD BANK name you are using for the Quicken account - as there are several listed ?
    and the Direct along with EWC are both still valid today - can't tell between EWC and EWC+

56610 56610 56610 TD Bank Online Banking
    https://www.td.com/us/en/personal-banking 1-888-751-9000
    https://onlinebanking.tdbank.com/ ACTIVE
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO,PAYMENT&DIRECT
    BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT

QWin - R54.16 - Win10