"Update now" unreconciled & uncategorized 18 months of transactions

Options
PatTu
PatTu Member

This happened within the past month (March 2024) - EVERY bank and credit card was effected. I had to REDO 18 months of categorizing and reconciling. Once I updated I backed up. If this happens again I will be changing accounting software.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"This happened within the past month (March 2024) - EVERY bank and credit card was effected. I had to REDO 18 months of categorizing and
    reconciling."

I don't understand how that happened - it shouldn't - and with about 40 years of use of Quicken I've never had that happen to me. This is a pure guess, entirely speculation, but really the way I could contemplate this happening is if you have your file "syncing" with the cloud - something that's required if you're using Mobile or Quicken on the Web - and somehow that "sync" process got completely hosed. But there's no reason in the world that you needed to REDO 18 months of transactions when it did happen.

You should have Quicken set up ("Preferences") to make a backup of your file each time you close Quicken, and keep the maximum number of copies (99) allowed. Then set your "manual" backups (same Preferences screen) so that every few times after closing Quicken - maybe roughly weekly or something - you're prompted to make a backup up that you put somewhere else on your hard drive or, better, on a second hard drive in your computer.

After that Update Now occurred with its unintended results you should have been able to simply restore "yesterday's" backup up, then cross your fingers and tried again.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 31
    Options

@PatTu - this post and your other post regarding Zelle are vague and absolutely make no sense whatsoever. Please provide more details and clarity on how your accounts were affected, so you can get the appropriate feedback on your issues.

This discussion has been closed.