QMac 7.6.1 - Hidden Categories showing in Report Customization

Options
MontanaKarl
MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta

Just noticed this preparing reports for last year …. While version 7.6.1 allows us to hide categories that are no longer in use… every one of them still shows up in the list of categories in the Edit Report dialog for customizing report content.

I can see why it can be desirable for them to show up for report customization… to generate reports for time periods when the now-hidden categories were in use. But for current reports, this makes my Categories list about 10x longer than necessary.

Is this a bug? or by design with a future release providing a checkmark for "hide/show hidden categories"?

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 31
    Options

I'm pretty sure during beta I commented that I thought reports should still include hidden categories if there were transactions using those categories during the time period of the report. This might be a side effect of that.

It would be nice if the drop down category list would automatically update to only include hidden categories used during the time period of the report; they may have decided that was too complicated & defaulted to showing all of them.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• MontanaKarl
    Options

Thanks @Jon. Less complicated would be just a show/hide hidden categories checkbox for user control… since every item and list in QMac is the result of a database query. The checkbox just adds to the "where" clause of the query and Bob's somebody's uncle :-)

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Yeah, the Payees customization pane has a "Include Hidden Payees" checkbox. Not sure why they didn't do that for Tags and Categories as well when those became hide-able.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I can see why it can be desirable for them to show up for report customization… to generate reports for time periods when the now-hidden categories were in use. But for current reports, this makes my Categories list about 10x longer than necessary.

@MontanaKarl How would Quicken know which report is "current" versus "old"? It doesn't track when a category was marked as hidden, so it couldn't know for which reports to show hidden categories or not.

I agree with all of you that the Categories tab in report customization should have a "Include Hidden Categories" checkbox, as exists for Hidden Payees.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MontanaKarl
    Options

I never suggested any automatic show/hide. That was Jon. I only asked for a checkbox to manually show/hide. :-)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@MontanaKarl @RickO @Jon Okay, so now that we're mostly in agreement, I figured someone needed to create an Idea post for this functionality — and so I did. 😀

Please add your votes and comments:

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Thanks for creating that Idea topic. I've voted.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.