Historical price history lost

Options

I no longer have more than 2 weeks of price history on the stocks/mutual funds that are in my investment portfolio. These are stocks/funds for which I actively have shares - going to price history on each only shows 2 weeks. This is a recent change, as previously, i have history going back to when I started using quicken….

Tagged:

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you open the "Holdings" window of an investment Account or look at Investments > Portfolio (value) view and start moving the date backwards in time, do the Quote/Price number show up for periods before your "2 weeks of price history?" Do your securities purchased prior to that 2 week period retain their basis?

• vinboston
    vinboston Member ✭✭
    edited April 3
    Options

if i switch to a different date more than 2 weeks in the past, it shows $0 in value as there is no price. The basis is still there - as that is captured in the transaction register as part of the buy transaction.

Note: weirdly, there are some stocks/funds that do have price history, just majority does not.

• Tom Young
    Options

I should have suggested this too in my response: If you go to each security's Security Detail View (Tools > Security list > click on each security name) and look at each security's price history (click More > Edit price history) are you seeing the same situation, with some securities having a complete price history and others that only go back 2 weeks? It seems like the answer here should be "Yes" as that's where the information is stored, but it doesn't hurt to look.

Whatever the results of looking at the price histories via the Security Detail View path, my first thought would be "data corruption" in your file. You could try going to the Investing Portfolio View, clicking the down arrow nest to "Update" and clicking "Historical prices…" and see if that fills in the blanks but at best that's only 5 years worth of history, and that might not work either.

It's generally accepted that the most "vigorous" approach to trying to get a corrupted file repaired is to first select Copy or Backup File..., select Create a copy or a template, and then clicking Save Copy. This will create a copy of the current file that's disconnected from downloading, so you'll need to reconnect all your downloading Accounts later.

Then, using the copy just created, click on File > Validate and Repair File.... > and ticking both Validate file and Correct investing price history (Repair)

Of course make a backup first before starting this.

• vinboston
    vinboston Member ✭✭
    edited April 5
    Options

yes - you are correct that the actual price history (via the Edit price histroy path) shows exactly that - some have 2 weeks and some have all history.

Update historical prices results in the spinning circle (the popup that says Refreshing historical prices) never finishing.

I have also tried Validate and Repair with the options you select - and it also hangs on the window with the bar that pops up and never finishes.

In both cases, I have to kill the app (after i wait hours for it to not finish….)

• Tom Young
    Options

So the "copy" aspect of the process worked OK, but the "validate" process never finishes? With bad corruption it's frequently the copy aspect that spits out the file.

You could try Official Quicken Support and see if they can come up with some fix but it does seem like "bad file data" is at work here.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The test step I would suggest is whether you can manually enter a price and get it to stick. I suspect not, but would be good to check.

It really sounds like a severe data file corruption where the only reliable solution would be to revert to your most recent reliable backup file. Even if you could get a manual price entry to stick, I doubt I would trust it going forward.