Why is a cash transfer between two asset accounts showing up as an expense in a report?

Options
BLD
BLD Member ✭✭
edited May 2 in Reports (Windows)

Why is a cash transfer between two asset accounts showing up as an expense in a report? On the "Dashboard" I see a transfer from a bank checking account into a brokerage account as an expense which it isn't.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And how was this transfer categorized in your register?
    As a true transfer, e.g., in account Asset1 it shows as Category = [Asset2]? Or something else?

Where do you see that expense? What view or report?

• BLD
    BLD Member ✭✭
    Options

It is categorized into the brokerage asset account from the bank account. The "Payee" is my bank account, the "Category" is the brokerage account.

I see it on the "Dashboard" under the "Home" tab. The "Income & Expense" card has a bar chart showing my income and expenses for each month as bars on the graft. I see huge expenses (far out weighing my income) for some months which I know is not the case.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1
    Options

[Sorry, our posts overlapped]

Also please note that in Quicken, "Asset" accounts are for things like houses and cars. Your issue is a transfer between a banking account and a brokerage account, right?

Are you referring to the Home tab Dashboard "Income & Expense" panel? By default that includes banking but not investing accounts, so transfers from a banking account to an investing account will show as expenses. If you include the investing account the transfer will no longer be an expense but any income in the investing account should be shown as income.

QWin Premier subscription
  • BLD
    BLD Member ✭✭
    Options

Are you saying in your first comment that a bank or brokerage account is not an asset?

Yes, I am referring to the Home tab Dashboard "Income & Expense" panel.

How do I include the investing accounts in the Home tab Dashboard "Income & Expense" panel so the transfer does not show as an expense?

Yes, I would expect income from within the brokerage asset account (dividends, interest, capital gains) should show up as income.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Are you saying in your first comment that a bank or brokerage account is not an asset?

I am saying that in Quicken's terminology, Asset accounts (note the capital A) are different from banking or brokerage accounts.

To include the Investing accounts, click on the 3 dots at the top right of the panel then select Accounts. Confusingly, "All accounts" means "All Banking accounts". To include Investing accounts, pick Custom and then Investing.

• BLD
    BLD Member ✭✭
    Options

I have selected "Custom" then "Investing" and placed check marks in each box for the investing accounts. Check marks in the banking accounts were already present.

After doing this I still see transfers from an investing account to a bank account as "Income" and as an "Expense" when going in the opposite direction.

• BLD
    BLD Member ✭✭
    Options

Another problem I noticed with the "Income & Expense" card is when I click on the income bar for any of the months shown, to open the detailed graph the amounts in the opened graph do not agree with what is shown in the "Income & Expense" card. The same can be said for the expense bar for each month in the "Income & Expense" card.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

That is odd. I entered transfers in both direction in a test file and the Income & Expense card worked as expected: When I included both accounts the transfers are not shown and when I un-check the brokerage account the transfers are shown. This happens whether I initiate the transfer from the investing account with XIn/XOut or from the checking account.

You might try the same in a test file and see if it works.

This discussion has been closed.