How to turn off all auto category assignments

dw833
dw833 Member ✭✭

I have several issues related to downloaded transactions and the categories they are assigned to.

I've given up on fixing quicken auto categories and renaming rules.
Decided to turn off all of it, but I'm not clear on how to do that.
I tried to turn it off, but it still happens.

How can I turn off all auto categories and renaming rules?

Along with that I have several different accounts that have had the wrong category assigned for many transactions. Is there a report type that I can run to display any transactions with auto assigned categories ? The reason for this is I need to research and correct them. In some cases quicken has reassigned previously downloaded transactions going back years to the wrong category.

When I download transactions is there a method to find out if any transactions in this download are being assigned category or using renaming rules. The reason I need this that even when I turn off autocategories and renaming it still happens. I won't to stop the downloaded transactions that are being reassigned to categories.

Currently, this is the biggest issue I have in fixing wrong categories.
Within an specific account many downloaded transactions are assigned to the wrong category.
I want to make a change to the categories within just this account and assign the transactions assigned to a wrong category to the right category. Global replace doesn't allow for that. Is it possible using some other method.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2

There are several questions here, I will try to answer each.

To control settings for renaming and auto categorizing, go to Edit >Preferences > Downloaded transactions

Even with those disabled, if a Payee is found in your Memorized Payee List, the Category there will be assigned. To view and edit the MPL, go to Tools > Memorized Payee List.

Also a recent Quicken release enabled automatically adding new Payees to the MPL. That setting is at Edit > Preferences > Data Entry and QuickFill > Automatically memorize new Payees. You will probably want to un-check that.

I don't think there is a way to identify automatically assigned categories, unless the Category was assigned via the Memorized Payee List and the entry is still there.

You can recategorize transactions within one account by using the Search box just below the account name. When a group of transactions is displayed, you can select the ones you want to change by using Shft-click and Ctrl-click. Then right-click on the selection and select Assign category. Be careful when making any bulk changes; there is no Undo. Always back up your data file before making bulk changes in case you make a mistake.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.