Downloaded transactions using last-entered memo/tag for payee.

Options
newpawta
newpawta Member ✭✭

Windows, Ver. R54.16, Build 27.1.54.16

HELP! This is screwing up everything! A couple of weeks ago I was forced to update/reconnect my bank accounts. I think things started after that. I tried to fix them. I recall being asked somewhere along the line if I wanted to "improve payee," as I've seen mentioned in QC and I think I said yes.

BEFORE this all happened, when downloading transactions, the merchant gobbledygook would appear in memo line unless I had already manually entered something. The tag/category would populate if I had set it to always do so for that payee.

NOW no merchant info appears in the memo line. Instead, it is auto-filling with the last memo I entered for that payee. As in, any new Amazon transactions are showing the same memo as the last Amazon one already in register before the download (not sure yet if it is overriding any manual entry). It is also assigning a tag/category if one was used in that previous transaction. $ amount is correct.

PLEASE tell me how to make it go back to previous behavior!

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3 Answer ✓
    Options

It sounds like you have unwanted Memorized Payees and/or Renaming rules. Go to Edit > Preferences > Data entry and QuickFill and un-check the Automatically memorize new payees box if it is checked.

In your example, go to Tools > Memorized Payee List and delete duplicate entries for Amazon, unless you want to keep a few and pick the appropriate one for each new transaction. Edit the ones you want to keep and check the Lock box to prevent them from changing each time you use them.

Also, click on the gear at the top right of the account and pick Edit Account details. At the bottom the the Online Services tab, there is a setting "Don't update memo when downloading". I think this controls whether the downloaded memo data is copied to the Memo field, but I am not sure what happens if there is a matching Memorized Payee that also has Memo data. I leave this box un-checked. You can experiment to see which choice gives the desired effect.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3 Answer ✓
    Options

It sounds like you have unwanted Memorized Payees and/or Renaming rules. Go to Edit > Preferences > Data entry and QuickFill and un-check the Automatically memorize new payees box if it is checked.

In your example, go to Tools > Memorized Payee List and delete duplicate entries for Amazon, unless you want to keep a few and pick the appropriate one for each new transaction. Edit the ones you want to keep and check the Lock box to prevent them from changing each time you use them.

Also, click on the gear at the top right of the account and pick Edit Account details. At the bottom the the Online Services tab, there is a setting "Don't update memo when downloading". I think this controls whether the downloaded memo data is copied to the Memo field, but I am not sure what happens if there is a matching Memorized Payee that also has Memo data. I leave this box un-checked. You can experiment to see which choice gives the desired effect.

QWin Premier subscription
  • newpawta
    newpawta Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks - will try!

This discussion has been closed.