Convert from 2013 Deluxe to 2016 Premier

Options

My father has been using QW 2013 Deluxe and I have QW 2016 Premier. He moved into my house and I'm taking over his finances. I've tried to restore his data file from QW 2013 into my QW 2016 and it appears the conversion worked, but at the end a white screen appears with the following message on it: "Need Help? Visit www.quicken.com/support or call us at 650-250-1900 during office hours Mon-Fri, 5AM to 5PM (Pacific)".

When I close the file and reopen it, I can briefly see his accounts but then the white screen re-appears and prevents access to his accounts. It also shows the following in the window/title bar: "Quicken 2016 Premier - XXX Data - [Home]". What does the "Home" mean?

Does anyone know what is happening? Why can't I use his converted 2013 file in my 2016 program?

Thx

Jack

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Q terminated the connection to their registration servers for anything pre-2018 a few years ago. So, it means that you can not create a new file in QW2014-2017. Moving your father's 2013 file to 2016 is treated as a new file and is not possible.

QW2013 was the last year that did not require a registration, so you might want to figure out a way to keep it around for his finances.

The other solution is to update your Q to subscription Q and convert both yours and dad's file to it.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• zoom38
    zoom38 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thx splasher for the informative & quick reply.

Jack

• zoom38
    zoom38 Member ✭✭
    Options

Now since you mentioned it, I tried to open some older files and it will not open them. These are files on my computer that I converted to QW 2016 years ago. Is my only option to view my old files is subscribe? I'm really not interested in the subscription/online model.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would have expected Q to open any 2016 data file that was created using the current installation, so your results are a mystery to me. Were they completely different files from your current file or prior versions of it?

• zoom38
    zoom38 Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, different names. They are year-end copies back in the day when I did that. I haven't done that since 2015. Rarely, but I could see at some point I need to look back.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You're sure that you opened these files in QW2016 and not with the most prior version?

Did you possibly change computers since they were opened last? That would give them a different "Quicken footprint" that isn't recognized by the current installation.

One piece of advice is to not do anything to your current installation unless your are going to permanently change to whatever you do because nothing less than a system image restore can guarantee you getting QW2016 to run again. You might get lucky with doing a Windows Restore Point, but there is no guarantee.

• zoom38
    zoom38 Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm fairly certain that I converted them to QW2016 years ago but I have not accessed them since then. Yes, it is a different computer than back then. I originally had a win7 computer vs the win10 i have now. I was able to reinstall the QW2016 on the newer win10 computer with the help of members of this forum.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm out of suggestions, maybe someone else has something that will help.