Tax Planner and uncollected taxes

Options

Is there a way to add an uncollected tax amount for Medicare and Social Security in the tax planner? I receive a benefit from my previous employer from which they do not deduct these two taxes which then means I have to add that amount to what I owe. I receive a W2 showing the amount of the uncollected tax and I would like to be able to add that to Tax Planner so the amount I owe is more accurate. There is no transaction to enter, just show an additional amount of tax I owe. Currently, I just decrease the amount of taxes I've withheld by the amount of the uncollected tax but is there a cleaner, more accurate way, of doing this?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I was confused by that too. The AMT information is only the left-hand column of that section (red box). Anything you enter in Other Taxes (see yellow arrow) is added directly to your taxes due.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Options

In the Tax planner, you can go to the Other Taxes, Credits section and add the other taxes due on the Other Taxes line.

• Melanie Silver
    Melanie Silver Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your response. The Other Taxes 'box' is in the Alternative Minimum Tax section, the bottom section of the screen. There is no Other Taxes 'box' in the upper section, only info regarding income. If the Alternative Minimum Tax doesn't apply, would a line item within that section be applied?

Thanks for your help!

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options

I was confused by that too. The AMT information is only the left-hand column of that section (red box). Anything you enter in Other Taxes (see yellow arrow) is added directly to your taxes due.

• Melanie Silver
    Melanie Silver Member ✭✭
    Options

Great! Thank you so much.!