Manually upload transactions from an statement

Options

Hi,

I'm looking to hire someone who can show me for a couple hours how to upload all transactions from a PDF statement into Quicken, this statement has investments purchased and investments sold.

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

what is your goal? why are you trying to do this? are these transaction in an IRA or after-tax account? how many transactions? how far back in time?

• Malujg
    Malujg Member
    Options

I need to upload information belonging to 1-1-2020 to 3-31-2020, unfortunately I only have the pdf statements since the banks doesn't goes that far. I'm new on this, that's why I'm willing to have a sort of class.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4
    Options

There is no easy way to import transactions from a PDF statement; it will probably be easier and faster to enter them manually unless there are hundreds of missing transactions.

We can give you some guidance if as @Mark1104 says you can provide some details on what you are trying to do

About how many transactions are involved?

Is this to fill a gap in your data, or are you trying to extend the account history back to when it was first opened?

If this is a taxable account and you still hold the securities, I can see that you would want to know the acquisition dates and cost basis for tax purposes when you sell them. If it is an IRA or 401(k), you may not need all the details.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Malujg - if it is only 3 months then a couple of ideas:

1. just data enter them all
    2. use the "80/20" rule" 80% of the dollars are probably 20% of the transactions (key those) and then lump the remaining 80% of the transactions (which are only 20% of the dollars) into an 'all other' or 'misc' category. if the transactions are from 4 years ago and all the small dollars, is it really material?

since you state "bank" is this checking / credit cards transactions or after tax investments?

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@Mark1104 he says it is investments purchased and sold.

• Malujg
    Malujg Member
    Options

Hi,

Yes, I'm trying to extend the account history back to when it was first opened, the statement is from a Charles Schwab account.

Malou

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Have you checked with Schwab to see if the transactions are available in a CSV format rather than PDF? At least then they would only have to go through one 3rd party conversion before importing them into Quicken.

And even if you could import them, they would still require manual editing. For example, if cash was transferred into or out of the account, Schwab will probably call them Deposits or Withdrawals. You would have to edit those to change them to Transfers and specify which Quicken account to use.

Again, unless there are hundreds of transactions, it would probably be easier to enter them manually.

And if you don't really need all the transaction detail, you could simply enter Added transactions to establish your holdings at the end of the period and resolve any Placeholders that were created when you did the existing download..