How do I get this transactions into the register?

Options

I cannot select these transactions so type them in? Or am I missing something?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here's the browser version for the Pending Transactions feature:
    https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Pending+Transactions

According to this Help text, you cannot create a real register transaction from a pending transaction.
    My suggestion is: Wait a day or two until the pending transaction disappears and is replaced by a real downloaded register transaction.

• dashoffa
    dashoffa Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you. I try to forecast a little but now I know I just need to key it. Beats logging into the credit cards etc for the info.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6
    Options

Per that Help article, pending transactions can be automatically added to the registers but it requires that the Preference for Downloaded Transactions be set to Automatically add to banking registers. This means that Quicken will automatically add downloaded transactions to the registers before you can review and approve them.

Then you will need to go to the Preference for Pending Transactions and check the box(es) for the account(s) you want to be shown in the registers.

I normally do not want Quicken to automatically add transactions to my account registers because I usually want to review and accept them first. So, I just set one of my test files to do this to see what happens. When I did this the pending transactions that had been downloaded this morning disappeared so I might need to wait until the next time new pending transactions get downloaded to see how that works.

UPDATE: After running OSU, again, the previously pending transactions were populated into the account register. No need to wait until new pending transactions are downloaded.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

One reason for NOT accepting Pending Transactions is a typical restaurant scenario.

When you initially present your card to pay the bill, the merchant will run the card and produce the paper for you to sign. THIS causes a Pending Transaction, which when you add a tip and total the amount makes the Pending incorrect.

Now that Pending should be replaced by the total … but I've found that it frequently isn't, even days later when the total amount finally posts to my account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@NotACPA -

Now that Pending should be replaced by the total … but I've found that it frequently isn't, even days later when the total amount finally posts to my account.

Good point and definitely something to be on the lookout for. But when you said that you've observed this issue previously are you referring to previous iterations of this pending transactions feature? I'm not sure I would place a lot of credence on any of the pros/cons of previous iterations since they were so problematic. This latest iteration seems to me to be much better designed and laid out so I hope this is not found to be an issue, this time, as well. I guess I'll need to wait until some restaurant, hotel and/or gas pending transactions get downloaded to see how it goes.

My biggest concern is that in order for the pending transactions to be populated in the registers one must first enable Automatically add to banking registers. I would like to understand why that is necessary. I think we are all aware of the fact that Quicken does not always do a good job of automatically categorizing nor matching downloaded transactions to payees, manually entered transactions, etc. I see a whole new world of "work" that could result from this that I'm not sure I'm prepared to accept…at least not in my main data files.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No, not "previous iterations". The txn that i reference are actually posted to my card account(s), only to be withdrawn and replaced, usually but not always, a few days later.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

I'll have to keep an eye on this to see what happens. I haven't had any pending transactions download into any of my accounts since they shut down the last iteration of this last Oct. I'm only allowing pending transactions in a test file since I don't want to risk messing up my main data file.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Agreed, but what I'm reporting has nothing to do with Q's "Pending Transactions" function. It predates that by eons.