Reconcile: "Payments and Checks" side total is summing incorrectly

Options

I went to reconcile my checking account and their was a difference showing it was out of balance. When I added the Payments and Checks side of the reconcile on my calculator, the sum did not match what Quicken Classic is showing. It was off by the same amount that quicken said my checking account was out of balance.

I have validated and super validated the file with no odd results in the data report for those. I have found this issue on 1 of 5 accounts I have. Version R55.26 Build 27.1.55.26

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you have any Future dated transactions that have an R in the CLR field?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• MikeS 18
    MikeS 18 Member ✭✭
    Options

@NotACPA I do not.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK, next guess. In that account, has the download method been changed … say from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect (or any other change)?

That can sometimes cause the Opening Balance in the account to change … which will through off reconciliation. To test this theory, pull out a statement from a couple of months back and see if the ending amount on the statement matches what's in Q. If this is the case, you might need to go back to the beginning of the account to correct the Opening Balance.

It's because of this that multiple SuperUsers suggest recording the correct OB in the memo field of that OB transaction … so that such a change can be easily spotted.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• MikeS 18
    MikeS 18 Member ✭✭
    edited April 6
    Options

This is a Fidelity Cash Management account so the statements are not like your normal checking account. As a result, I reconcile from actual transaction history not the convuluted statement. Summary: the OB matches the statement in quicken and the ending statement matches.

What I am saying is that when you look at the Payments and Checks side of the reconcile screen and add the transactions up, the sum does not match the sum shown at the bottom of that side of the reconcile screen. In my case it's off by $143.11 and the reconcile balance is off by $143.11.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And that says 22 checks. I only counted 20.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• MikeS 18
    MikeS 18 Member ✭✭
    edited April 6
    Options

@volvogirl thank you. That gave me clue that there were two transactions totalling 143.11. I found them - they were cleared but April transaction. Not showing but being included in the sum and item count. what the heck. Made them uncleared, then they disappeared in the math for March reconcile, then set them cleared in April and balanced out.

Issues resolved. (Although why they were being counted in the sum and count for March is beyond me)