How do I edit account number in deactivated credit card account set up for QFX download?

Options

I am recently widowed and am learning Mac while at the same time learning Quicken Classic Deluxe version 7.6.1. My credit card had fraudulent activity so the bank canceled it. My husband has a set up where he downloaded QFX files daily from our bank. From the menu bar I clicked on Accounts / Settings / Downloads and can see the old credit card account number set up. However I'm unsure on next step to update to new account information. There is no edit button, just a change connection and disconnect account buttons. Can someone please give me correct steps to go in and edit account number so I can continue to download the QFX file from the new account? Thanks very much.

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'm sorry you're going through this. Have you tried downloading and opening a new QFX file yet? I think when you open the QFX, it may give you the option to connect it to the existing account. If not, you can let it create a new account. After the new account is created, you can go to the old account's register, select all transactions, and drag and drop them to the new account in the sidebar. You may have to delete some duplicates. Once you've done this, the new account will have the correct number and the old account will have no transactions and can be deleted.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

First, my condolences for your loss.

My husband has a set up where he downloaded QFX files daily from our bank. 

Just in case it's not apparent, there's no need for you to do this daily unless you want to review the transactions daily. You can do this weekly, or every few days, or on any irregular schedule you wish, and Quicken will pull in all the transactions since your last import.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• RickO
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'm sorry you're going through this. Have you tried downloading and opening a new QFX file yet? I think when you open the QFX, it may give you the option to connect it to the existing account. If not, you can let it create a new account. After the new account is created, you can go to the old account's register, select all transactions, and drag and drop them to the new account in the sidebar. You may have to delete some duplicates. Once you've done this, the new account will have the correct number and the old account will have no transactions and can be deleted.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

First, my condolences for your loss.

My husband has a set up where he downloaded QFX files daily from our bank. 

Just in case it's not apparent, there's no need for you to do this daily unless you want to review the transactions daily. You can do this weekly, or every few days, or on any irregular schedule you wish, and Quicken will pull in all the transactions since your last import.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    Options

I will also add that, depending on the issuer of the card, it is likely you can have the transactions directly download into Quicken without having to go to the bank's website to retrieve a QFX file. Not all banks support this, but most do.

• Challenged
    Challenged Member
    Options

Thank you RickO and Jacobs. When I opened the QFX, it gave me the option to connect it to the existing account so I'm all squared away now. I really appreciate the help from both of you. Thank you.