IMPROVMENT REQUEST: Increase length of Memo field in transactions

Options

It looks like Quicken Classic for Windows currently supports 64 characters in the Memo field. Often this is insufficient and it is not possible to fully describe the transaction. It would be very useful to increase the limit to 128 characters, or at least 96.

Tagged:
3 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• rich
    rich Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am using Windows 10 Pro version 22H2 Build 19045.4291 64 bit and Quicken for Windows Premier 27.1.55.26. I just verified that 64 is the character limit for the Memo field. I agree that's too small; make it at least 128 if not 255.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I suppose you would also want reports that include the Memo field to be able to show it on multiple lines rather than cutting it off?

That might be a tall order.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Does the Notes field not serve the purpose of allowing long strings of text to be associated with transactions? What about that field does not fulfill your needs?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• rich
    rich Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Rocket. The notes field is currently limited to 70 characters and is not possible to use with a QIF file (neither import or export) as far as I know. Why are the memo and notes fields separate anyway ? One choice would be to combine them into the memo field but still make it bigger. Granted, I don't max out the memo and notes fields in every transaction, or even most of them, but quite a few. I put alot of info in those:

ie for medical transactions: usually the payee is not the doctor but some company the doctor uses; I create a scan (pdf) for every bill. so the memo might be:

Dr. XYX Claim 24.02.11.InsCompany-R.pdf

Sometimes the transaction's posted date is not the actual real date so in the memo i include "RealDate=1/2/24".

Sometimes the transaction's description is long, ie:

EREF
    AD08-D-2024-01-17-23.45.33.903737MREF
    KARTENABRECHNUNGCRED
    DE45ZZZ01518301218SVWZ
    KREDITKARTENABRECHNUNG 17.01.24 5XXXXXXXXXXXXXX2