Is there a secret to getting "collapse all" to actually collapse ALL?

Options
EmKay
EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
edited April 14 in Reports (Windows)

I've never noticed this before so I don't know if it's new. I'm on QWin R53.26 (afraid to upgrade).

I run a transaction report for the last 12 months, subtotal by Payee, and select only one of my credit card accounts. Report shows, I click "Collapse all" - and SOME of the payees collapse, but not all. The payees that don't collapse are a mix of those with a single transaction, and multiple transactions.

As an alternative, I was going to NOT subtotal but SORT by payee and then export to Excel - but there's no sort option for "payee" - but there is for "description." What's the difference? And, if there's no difference, why is this field referenced two different ways? (These last questions are for any Quicken staff that may happen upon this post - I don't expect Community members/users to know the "why" answers.)

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try taking a backup and then VALIDATING your Q data file.

The "collapse", just now, worked as expected for me.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Validated fine, and also seems to have fixed the issue.

So I guess validation may actually correct some issues but then not report them as issues?

Is it recommended to just validate on a regular basis?

Thanks, @NotACPA

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's recommended that you NOT Validate except when there's an issue to be addressed. Validate can, in odd circumstances, actually cause problems. That's why you Backup first.

And the Validate results message actually reports little. There's a suggestion, somewhere around here, that the report be expanded/improved.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP