Missing Data - No Downloads of Closing Stock Prices

Options

I'll assume Quicken gets closing stock prices from somebody's server, not necessarily my broker's ("FIDO"). Consistently absent are closing data for EOG, PCAR, VLO, VRTX and V. I'm "long" in all of these common stocks. Is there something that I am doing wrong, or does the fault lie with the data provider? Is Quicken aware of these issues? This has become consistent - night after night. I update Quicken about 1900 Hours, CDT. Running on MS Win 11 Pro. Quicken Version R55.26 - premier Classic.

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Other: I assume that I can go through the Securities List and delete old securities that I not longer own or have no real interest in following. More work to do.

No. If you have used the security in the past, you need to keep that security in your security list. But you can a) remove it from the watch list, and b) uncheck the Download Quotes option.

Only if you delete all prior transactions with that security can you delete that security. In my experience, rarely is that a good idea.

Quotes are only downloaded if your share balance is nonzero or the security is on the Watch List.

… and you have the Download Quotes box checked (obviously as you say).

… and the security has a valid ticker. That will exclude your annuity from getting price updates through Quicken's third party data supplier.

New securities are typically added with the Download Quotes box checked. But if you sell the security and uncheck that box, upon re-purchase, the box will not be checked back to the include state.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you go to Tools > Security list, is the Download Quotes box checked for these securities?

Is it just the most recent closing prices that are not downloaded, or so these process never get updated?

QWin Premier subscription
  • jah47Ed
    jah47Ed Member ✭✭
    Options

They're checked now, one was on the Watch List. I thought all new purchases would automatically be added - apparently not.

…"or these process never get updated?" - Not sure what you meant by this - I think I was automatically downloading stock dividends when they were posted to my FIDO account, it was just closing prices that were missing. I'll check V (VISA) for late dividends, ditto PCAR (PACCAR).

Thanks for the quick response…

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Sorry, I meant "do the prices never get updated".

Until about a year ago, new securities were automatically added to the Watch List. Now you must add them yourself if you want. Quotes are only downloaded if your share balance is nonzero or the security is on the Watch List.

• jah47Ed
    jah47Ed Member ✭✭
    Options

I've check the other accounts, even the Roth (Five accounts counting the annuity). I've numerous securities on my Watch list; I need to delete some of them. Obviously, a securities closing price can't be updated if it is not "Checked off" on the Securities List.

Other: I assume that I can go through the Securities List and delete old securities that I not longer own or have no real interest in following. More work to do.

Thanks for the help…

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

No. If you have used the security in the past, you need to keep that security in your security list. But you can a) remove it from the watch list, and b) uncheck the Download Quotes option.

Only if you delete all prior transactions with that security can you delete that security. In my experience, rarely is that a good idea.

Quotes are only downloaded if your share balance is nonzero or the security is on the Watch List.

… and you have the Download Quotes box checked (obviously as you say).

… and the security has a valid ticker. That will exclude your annuity from getting price updates through Quicken's third party data supplier.

New securities are typically added with the Download Quotes box checked. But if you sell the security and uncheck that box, upon re-purchase, the box will not be checked back to the include state.

• jah47Ed
    jah47Ed Member ✭✭
    Options

What you shared is true. I wanted to delete an old security, but the Delete button is greyed out. No big deal - I can live with it. Today, the 16th I bought 20 shares of FCX, Freeport-McMoRan. I'll check the Securities List for its status. It may be a stock on my Watch List, now that I own it again, I can uncheck the Watch List box and make sure I can download closing prices.

Thanks to all who responded.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Also if you no longer own a stock you can go to the Security List and hide it. Then it will no longer appear in selection lists unless you check the Show Hidden box.

• jah47Ed
    jah47Ed Member ✭✭
    Options

Understood