trouble downloading transactions from a bank that was previously working fine

Options
Dave Erickson
Dave Erickson Member ✭✭

i have 2 accts at NBKC bank. About 3-4 wks ago i got some type of error on one of the accts and followed the 'fix it' prompts for that acct….and now it hasnt downloaded transactions since. The other acct at the bank is working fine..and all transactions are downloaded The 'accounts list ' doesnt appear to be in error. When i go through the 'one step update' process(which i've used 'forever'….the bank indicator says 'updating banking info', but goes to the 'complete' status almost immediately…..but NOT the usual status(updating/downloading) of my other accounts of the update process. Help !!! i'm lost after messing with this for many hours. Just a follow up to the above…. taking another look at the 'account list' drop down(under Tools)…..for the bank…it shows 'activate downloads'….when i click on that i go through that process at it shows a 'do not activate' at end of both accts found….. Also noticed the same on a credit card acct(not for the bank)…which was ALSO working fine up to a few days ago…and when i went through the process for the credit card…got msg 'accts have been authorized'…..just hung in that status for several minutes… backed out of the window….went to the acct list drop down….and still showed 'activate download' status for the credit card . Totally confused…..

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I assume this is the bank you're referring to:

59643 59643 59643 NBKC Bank https://www.nbkc.com/ 1-888-431-0097 https://secure.nbkc.com/nbkcbankonline/Uux.aspx#/login ACTIVE BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT BANKING&WEB-CONNECT BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

You haven't mentioned anything you've done to try and fix the situation nor which of the two "downloading" options - Direct Connect or Express Web Connect - you're using.

The first thing to try is clicking on the "Reset Account" button on the "Online Services" tab of the "Account Details" window for the non-working Account.

If that doesn't work then the next thing to try would be to disconnect BOTH Accounts from downloading and having done that, go to one or the other of the Accounts and click on "Set up Now" for that Account. Quicken should find both accounts at the bank and if it does you want to LINK those two accounts to the proper Account in Quicken. Make sure "Automatic Entry" is OFF for both Accounts in case you get duplicate transactions getting downloaded. That way they can be easily deleted in the "Downloaded Transactions" area below the register.

• Dave Erickson
    Dave Erickson Member ✭✭
    Options

Tom…thx for the reply. & Sorry, i'm NOT a software guru… I tried to explain what i could, but based on your questions….here goes again

1. the first error on my one of two bank accts @ NBKC bank had a 'fix it' in the original one step update error msg…i clicked on that and followed the prompts(signon to bank(username/pswd)…..that didnt resolve. I then went to the acct list…tried to 'activate' the acct (shown in account list option for the nbkc acct in error…which had me basically go through the same procedure i just went through…last screen had a 'do not activate acct' information msg on BOTH accts. The one acct that was still working as of 3/29 i think….is using 'yes, direct connect)
    2. Your suggestion on clicking the 'reset account' button on the online services tab on acct details was a wash….i could NOT find a 'reset' option on that display. Tried a cpl different accts looking for a reset button in the online services tab…nothing.
    3. If the last option about disconnecting, and go through the 'set up' procedure means i will have to reenter ALL categorys for those transactions….i very FRUSTATING and time consuming ordeal(i've had to do that before!)…..i'd like that to be a last resort.

What i find interesting is that i've now the same situation in two accts…the NBKC as mentioned in original post and now at CITI bank also with 2 accts. one acct works, one doesnt the Citi acct that works is (yes, express web connect)… i.e. different than NBKC acct I went through the Quicken prompts to activate(sign on to citi…activate accts) and got the now authorized for both accts…….and failing NOW for BOTH accts now

i'm hoping this might trigger some different ideas/fixes than starting over with virgin transaction downloads where categories will need to be reassigned…………..

It also appears to looking at some of the other msgs logged…..that there are many current 'issues' with one step updates and/or transaction downloads…

Thx…………….dave

• Tom Young
    Options

"the first error on my one of two bank accts @ NBKC bank had a 'fix it'
    in the original one step update error msg…i clicked on that and followed
    the prompts(signon to bank(username/pswd)…..that didnt resolve. "

I certainly have seen that sort of message from time to time and, if memory serves, it was always associated with Account using EWC (and maybe EWC+) as the downloading method. And, from the sounds of it, it would appear that the "bad" Account was using some EWC flavor while the other was using DC? I don't know if that combination is technically prohibited but I would guess that to be the case as the financial institution holding the account has to accommodation that arrangement. Instinctively I'd always keep similar Accounts in Quicken using the same method.

"i could NOT find a 'reset' option on that display. Tried a cpl different
    accts looking for a reset button in the online services tab…nothing."

Now that one I simply do not understand. Every single one of my Quicken Accounts in the Banking and Investing portion of the Account Bar has this even if they aren't set up for downloading. You're not seeing this on your Accounts????:

IF you're NOT seeing this option then something else is wrong. It could be data corruption in the file and/or some issue with the installed program because you should have that option in all Accounts that aren't in the Property & Debt area of the Account Bar. I would suggest making a backup and trying a Validate & Repair. Another approach that's been suggested as a possibly more robust approach to fixing data corruption is to first do File > Copy or Backup File… > Create a compete backup, and use a different file name for the copy. Then, using the copy, do a validate and repair. This latter process will require you to reconnect all downloading Accounts.

"If the last option about disconnecting, and go through the 'set up'
    procedure means i will have to reenter ALL categorys for those
    transactions….i very FRUSTATING and time consuming ordeal(i've had to do
    that before!)…..i'd like that to be a last resort."

That absolutely is not the case. It's a simply "quit downloading" then "turn on downloading" situation. The ONLY issue here MIGHT be that you'd get some duplicate transactions downloaded and if you do those transactions, naturally, will have no Categories associated with them. That's why I made the strong suggestion to make sure those duplicates DON'T get placed directly in the Registers, which means that Automatic Entry is:Off to avoid that issue.

• Dave Erickson
    Dave Erickson Member ✭✭
    Options

tom………….again, thx for reply AND info…………….HOWEVER……..after working on this for approx 2 hrs this morning, i'm still not whole. I did get the NBKC bank dilemma resolved….used some of your suggestions..and trial/error on my end. got a transaction download of approx 3 yrs..and did have to add categorys(either add or modify what they WERE)…but working for now anyway. Luckily for me( i guess)…i create/save yearly lists at end of year..so at least i have a good copy of years. i'm now fighting the same dilemma, mentioned earlier, on citi CC accts(2) that i was on NBKC i.e. ONe good, one NOT. The bad one(like NBKC) no reset button on the display…but i have gotten to the point that going through getting accts authorized, etc., etc…i did get msg for the bad acct that for the acct name that transactions has been 'downloaded for the last 3267 days', and not 'red flags' on acct names indicating new transactions there And when i go to that acct…the most current transaction i have are dated middle of '23……….when up to end of march '24….all were good(i.e. current from march '24 and prior. The other citi acct. seems good with current transactions for 4/20/24 and prior….dont use as frequently so dont know if there's an issue there or not yet.

SOooooooooooo, now focusing on the citi accts…(one good, one bad(like NBKC)……& i received msg transactions were downloaded for last 3267 days…..but they're not in my acct.

Seems my problems started with Nbkc/citi with two sub accts in each. All other accts i have with only one sub acct seem fine…. and it all seems to have started around end of March, first of april

i DO appreciate your help on this Tom………….but As you can imagine, after working on this for 3+ hrs over several days, you're working with a frustrated Quicken customer…..as i've gone through this a cpl time previously

• Tom Young
    Options

"got a transaction download of approx 3 yrs..and did have to add categorys(either add or modify what they WERE)…"

Over the 40 years I've used Quicken I've gone through the disconnect/reconnect process many times and have never ever received that much downloaded information and by making sure the downloaded information ISN'T put directly into the register I've never had to laboriously re-enter a lot of stuff. One thought here is that maybe you're not actually using Direct Connect or Express Web Connect to download but instead using Web Connect, where you log into the bank's web page with a browser and download, through the browser the information? I've never used that process so I'm not familiar with it and maybe that is why you're not seeing the Reset option?

That may be a completely wrong guess on my part but I can't come up with any better explanation. Did you try the Validate/Repair process?

Given that this problem has resurfaced with other Accounts I think the next best step is to CALL (no CHAT!) Official Quicken Support where you can screen share and under their supervision work through what they figure might set things to right.

• Dave Erickson
    Dave Erickson Member ✭✭
    Options

Tom………..just thought i'd give you a follow up………….

i did take your suggestion on going the help(talk not chat) route while i still had some hair left !

I think i mentioned i got ONE of my problems resolved(the NBKC bank) by the ol' trial and error way..i have no idea how or why!

However I still had SAME situation with CITI (with two CC's)…one working, one not. After some preliminary 'stuff' the tech had me go through the reauthorize route that i'd tried before BUT…had me only click on the CC acct that WAS working to authorize …(i'd tried clicking on the one that wasnt working AND then both accts a cpl days ago, but it didnt work….although i think i mentioned to you i rec'd a msg that 3.2K transactions were downloaded(but couldnt be found in my error acct)). ANYWAY…..tech's way seemed to resolve the problem and now Both places(CITI and NBKC) are working Naturally i asked what caused something like this…he had no idea, but the main thing it's working now.

Great tech, helpful, the screen sharing is a definite advantage !! 'graded' him appropriately, too

ANYWAY…….Thx for all your help/suggestions/patience

dave