how to track gold and silver - coins QWin (edit)

Options
jasonpbyu
jasonpbyu Member ✭✭
edited May 1 in Investing (Windows)

I found a few prior discussions but they're closed, otherwise I'd post in those. One of them is linked below.

If I have some silver coins that I want to track on the SPOT price, how do I set this up? I tried setting up a new offline "asset", but obviously it isn't asking for a symbol.

If I go to the investing tab, it shows all the various stocks and funds that I have through various investing accounts, but it doesn't let me add anything in here.

I've used quicken for checking, savings and credit cards for 15+ years but never for this.

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Set these up in an INVESTING account, and be SURE to use the ^ as the prefix … as discussed in the thread that you posted.

Non-investment accounts (i.e., other Asset accounts) can't download investments

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• Larry51
    Larry51 Member
    Options

I'm on a Windows platform and would love to have this functionality also…

Seems like a few more queries when the stock prices are updated…

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And paying for that service. Quote services aren't free.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • waylord Hamrock
    waylord Hamrock Member ✭✭
    Options

after a recent update, Quicken now uses specific symbols to track the spot prices of gold and silver. The symbols are ^XAUUSD for Gold and ^XAGUSD for Silver1These symbols are used to automatically update the price of Gold and Silver as an investment in Quicken1. However, the exact source of these spot prices is not explicitly mentioned in the Quicken documentation. Lookin oon line at any given time, you can see several different bid and ask prices. Can anyone tell us exactly what is the source of the spot gold and silver prices that Quicken downloads to update those values, and how often they are updated?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

here - I think those symbols are only avail starting with Release - R54.9 -

in new release R54.9 - notice the "^" prefix -

What's New

• Enabled access to Gold and Silver price quotes,
      making it easier for customers to obtain this information using the symbols
      ^XAUUSD for Gold
      ^XAGUSD for Silver

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• bear85
    bear85 Member ✭✭
    Options

Folks- I still am having issues automatically updating the value of my gold coins. For each type of coin, i have set up as one does for securities and use ounces as the number of shares. I use ^XAUUSD as the symbol with no success in updating the current value. I manually entered a cost when I entered them, and no automatic updates are done with ^XAUUSD OR ^XAUTUSD. Any ideas on correcting this would be appreciated.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think there are still some lingering questions -
    Here is the old thread - that was closed - have asked to have it re-opened to discuss…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2
    Options

don't know where Quicken is getting their pricing -
    but the "XA" Security entries are not a stock, but rather a Forex - foreign exchange - you can see them all in the Add Security -
    the gold spot vs US Dollar - XAU-USD
    ie - https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/XAUUSD/

the silver spot vs US Dollar - XAG-USD
    https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/XAGUSD/

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• xlnja
    xlnja Member ✭✭
    Options

I added ^XAUUSD and ^XAGUSD on 1/19/2024. The initial price was downloaded, but the prices have not updated since. What is going on?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Set these up in an INVESTING account, and be SURE to use the ^ as the prefix … as discussed in the thread that you posted.

Non-investment accounts (i.e., other Asset accounts) can't download investments

• jasonpbyu
    jasonpbyu Member ✭✭
    Options

That was the trick! Thank you! It pulled the current SPOT price for it very quickly. thanks.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22
    Options

I just did this as a sample…. setup account as Offline - Other Investments -
    Already had created the special security names for the Gold and Silver - as part of Watch List -
    ^XAUUSD for Gold - AU -→ USD
    ^XAGUSD for Silver - AG —> USD

and here are some test numbers just to see how things look - didn't enter any Cost Basis numbers - left it at zero -
    and would use the "shares" as the number of coins or OZs purchased ….. but all have to be the 1oz weight/size basis -
    Looks interesting - may have to actually add all my Gold/Silver Eagles - and some OZ silver bars.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23
    Options

After I setup the test account - with both Gold & Silver - for my US American Eagles -
    I decided to split them and created a 2nd account - one for Silver and one for Gold - still using the same "^XA" securities as coin proxy.
    Then went thru my stack and added each purchase to the transaction register….

Now I have a Register of my coins - tnx for the idea -
    still have to go back and edit the details for each Buy date & cost basis -
    Also need to use some "Remove Shares" for those coins given away as presents.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you actuallly hold a position in those metals? Q doesn't download quotes unless a position is either Held or on the Watch List.

You also need to verify that in your Security List (CTRL-Y) the "Download Quotes" box is checked for each.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23
    Options

Tools —> Security List -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• xlnja
    xlnja Member ✭✭
    Options

I have positions in those metals and both are on the watch list. I also have "Download Quotes" and "Watch List" checked for the securities and have toggled the settings after updates to see if that would work. I've also run "Correct investing price history" in Validate and Repair. Nothing works.

From the security detail view when I click More → Download historical prices, neither Gold nor Silver are in the list of securities on the "Get Historical Prices" form. @NotACPA or @Ps56k2, do you see them in that form?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@xlnja Will you please show us a graphic, from your file, that corresponds to what @Ps56k2 posted on 4/23?

• xlnja
    xlnja Member ✭✭
    Options

@NotACPA

Security Detail View and "Get Historical Prices" are shown below…

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yeah - not seeing them either ….
    Wonder if that is because they are not really a stock or an index - but a FOREX - as in Foreign Exchange rate
    Should be listed between the Russell and 3COM -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• digibob261
    digibob261 Member
    Options

Is there anyway to have Q update the value of my gold holdings by multiplying the current quote (which I have working) by the number of ounces I hold?

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

It might be time to take the Windows discussion back to the Windows forum, since it seems to have stopped having anything at all to do with how this feature might work in Quicken Mac.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1
    Options

oops … it got so far down the road- didn’t realize we were in the QMAC section …

Have to go look for the other Gold/Silver prices discussion

Have requested the discussion be split over to the QWin area …

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

scroll up in the discussion to see exactly how we did the exact same thing

QWin - R54.16 - Win10