how do i turn off 'dashboard view' for my brokerage account and see details view?

Options

most of my brokerage accounts show just like my checking accounts. the window looks like a register with line by line transactions by date

HOWEVER I have a couple brokerage accounts which show some type of 'dashboard view' with pie charts etc. I cannot see in any menu/gear icon/etc how to toggle between these 2 views

Best Answer

• mikestone
    mikestone Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

holy smokes, I would have never found that on my own. thanks!

what is nice about the simple view, im just now finding out, is that the user isnt asked for a lot of manual corrections/input every time quicken downloads transactions in the complete view.

can i switch back and forth between the 2 views? or maybe simpler question , can i choose to switch my older brokerage accounts (which i have never answered all the questions/accepted the transactions) from complete to simple view and thus in one fell swoop avoid having to accept the huge number of transactions pending?

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds like they are set to Simple Investing. To change it to Complete investing right click on the account in the account bar and select Edit/Delete account. On the General tab select "Complete -Positions and Transactions" under Tracking Method.

• mikestone
    mikestone Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

holy smokes, I would have never found that on my own. thanks!

what is nice about the simple view, im just now finding out, is that the user isnt asked for a lot of manual corrections/input every time quicken downloads transactions in the complete view.

can i switch back and forth between the 2 views? or maybe simpler question , can i choose to switch my older brokerage accounts (which i have never answered all the questions/accepted the transactions) from complete to simple view and thus in one fell swoop avoid having to accept the huge number of transactions pending?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Complete to Simple change must be done one account at a time. There's no "one fell swoop" option.

I suspect you're correct about what the impact will be, but I've never used "Simple" so I'm unsure.

Take a backup before you try this … just in case.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23
    Options

Not sure what you are seeing when downloading transactions -
    But you should review and Accept your downloads - else… why are you doing them -
    And - if there are any Quicken dialogs or errors - those too should be addressed at the time of downloading -
    Placeholders added ?

And the "Simple" might only retain the totals and over time, might not be able to revert to the actual transaction details -
    Would suggest not trying to flip between the two -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ps56k2 Are you sure about your "totals only" statement? If that's true, one would NEVER be able to switch from Simple to Complete, because the txn wouldn't be there.

It was my understanding that the difference was in the presentation only, not what's downloaded.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23
    Options

@NotACPA - I recall a discussion - it appeared the Simple vs Complete choice
    was only going back X months or to the first of calendar year or ???
    Not sure it was ever resolved/verified - but the question was out there…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mikestone
    mikestone Member ✭✭
    Options

thanks all. I agree that "switching back and forth " doesnt make sense because in guessing the simple view doesnt maintain the individual transactions. thus one can go from complete to simple but not the other direction.

my delima was that i set up a brokerage acct years ago to download transacactions. i never accepted any due to the hassle of too many manual questions from Q about lot size, quanties etc. i just wanted a place holder for showing transfers from the brokerage to my checking account.

now im trying to migrate from windows to mac and Q wants me to accept all transacations before doing so. and there are 100's. a painful slow process. i tried to switch the account to simple view but it wouldnt let me until i accepted the transactions.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My delima was that I set up a brokerage acct years ago to download transactions. I never accepted any due to the hassle of too many manual questions from Q about lot size, quantities etc. i just wanted a place holder for showing transfers from the brokerage to my checking account.

those kinds of dialogs usually happen when selling…. to calc all the correct tax related numbers.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• GaryPRussell
    GaryPRussell Member ✭✭
    Options

All of my accounts are set to "Complete - …" but I don't see any "dashboard", just a normal register.

What am I missing?

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"All of my accounts are set to "Complete - …" but I don't see any "dashboard", just a normal register."

The "dashboard" shows for accounts set to "Simple" investing rather than the normal register.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24
    Options

All of my accounts are set to "Complete - …" but I don't see any "dashboard", just a normal register.

Complete mode shows you a list of transactions, similar to what you see in a banking account.

If you click on the gear at the top right of the account and select Edit Account Details, you can switch to Simple mode, which hides the transactions and shows a dashboard instead. In Simple mode, Quicken does not download all the transactions sent by your brokerage, just the current share and cash balances. Thus if you set an account to Simple mode and then do a One Step Update, you will have to re-create any missing transactions if you want to switch back to Complete mode.

QWin Premier subscription
  • GaryPRussell
    GaryPRussell Member ✭✭
    Options

Ah, sorry; I misunderstood the question/answer; I thought the OP was saying that the dashboard appeared for the 'complete' option.