Mutual Fund - 3 securities - trying to get years worth of old transactions (edit)

Options
Rick Milton
Rick Milton Member ✭✭✭
edited April 26 in Investing (Windows)

I'm hoping someone may be able to help. I had a mutual fund that I had set up as a brokerage account, as there were 3 funds in the account. A few month's back, I had to do a file validation and didn't notice it until recently that several YEARS of transactions were removed through that process in two of the accounts! I mean 10 years + of transactions that would have had to be manually added. I had done manual input for all three of these funds over the years. I finally decided that I was just going to bite the bullet and delete the entire account and lose what detail was in there and start as of this year with the balances and move forward from there.

When I was going to add them, I noticed that Invesco was one of the companies that I could download items. All three of the funds are Invesco. I tried to add them via online, but it gave me ZERO detail. I know my user name and password were correct, because I signed in to make sure. I'm assuming all that detail could be downloaded into Quicken?

I went ahead and added the three accounts again, starting with balance forwards as of 1/1/24 and added the detail from then, manually.

My question is —- is there a way that I can get all the detail back for those three accounts, IF I can figure out why it would not download the three funds initially when I tried? They showed up when I tried to add them, but no detail came down, so that's when I deleted them again and decided to just do it manually!

Ask questions, if I'm not explaining it well enough. I've used Quicken for 20 years, but tend to do everything manually except for downloading my banking information into my checking and savings accounts.

Thanks so much from this old Quicken user!

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried restoring from a backup before all of this happened?

You'll need to re-input (or, if allowed, re-download) any transactions after that backup … but that's to only way to get back the old transactions.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rick Milton
    Rick Milton Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, I didn't discover the "issue" for over 2 months. I back up every time I use Quicken, but I was not going to go back and input over 2 months of data. I just didn't know if I now tried to do a download from Invesco — linking the accounts, if that would download all the "extra" data or not, and it may do some, I was told, but not 10 years worth. When I tried it after I blew it away, nothing came down, so I'm not sure why that happened. I guess I'm just going to continue to manually add everything as I had done and will just write-off 10 years of data in two of those accounts.

I know that worked, but I'd like to have that data back! 😔

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited April 27
    Options

@Rick Milton - you can restore a backup but not overwrite your current file. And then export QIF files from the backup file for just those three accounts that are missing historical data (prior to 1/1/2024). Then, after the QIF files are created, import them into your current file.

I don't know how familiar you are with exporting and importing QIF files. For what you want to do it would be a relatively easy process. Let me know if you want to go down this route.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is up to the financial institution (FI) to decide how much old data to send. May be 90 days, 6-months, a year, 5 years. You may also be able to get a more extended selection by downloading a QFX file from the FI.

My first thought when you said you did not get any transactions was that the account was getting set up a s "simple" account (only showing security and account values, not transactions) rather than as a "complete" account (that would include all transactions). That setting is as an account detail.

Are you now getting transactions downloaded and shown?

It may be possible to restore a backup (to a different name than your regular file), export the account transactions as a QIF file, and then import that QIF file to the regular file. Such export/import processes for investment accounts can be tricky. @Chris_QPW may be able to shed more details on that possibility. Since you are only dealing with three securities and one (?) account, the process may be more viable.