Tracking CDR Investments

Options
JoelC
JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭

I recently invested in a number of CDRs (i.e., USD stocks that are hedged and traded in CAD examples of which include APPL, HD [Home Depot], META, MSFT, V [Visa], etc.).

I want to track the daily performance of these holdings in the same way that I track the daily performance of my other securities. The problem is that I cannot figure out the symbol to use download the stock prices. The symbol(s) for the exchange that they trade on (i.e., CBOE Canada) do not download any historical prices.

For example as illustrated below, there are three CBOE symbols for the AAPLE CDR (i.e., APPL.DG, APPL.DY and AAPL.ZY) but none download any price history. The correct symbol (per Yahoo Finance and others) is APPL.NE which does not appear as an option.

Would appreciate an explanation about how to download the CDRs historical prices so my portfolio can be updated on a daily basis.

Thank you.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well those clearly should work and in fact they do work when you use Quicken's Investing Center site:

https://www.quicken.com/investing/stock-quotes-investment-research/appl

but I couldn't get them to work in a Quicken test file.

Maybe try Official Quicken Support to see if they can come up with a better answer?

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Tom Young appreciate the effort and good to know that it is not just me that could not get them to work. I can / will try Official Quicken Support but am not very optimisic.

Thank you.

• denbe52
    denbe52 Member ✭✭
    Options

I wrote a relatively simple Python script (using yfinance) that automatically downloads the prices from Yahoo (e.g. AAPL.NE, AMZN.NE, etc) several times a day and at the end of day. The script creates a CSV file of the prices that I load into Quicken using ("File", "File Import", "Import Security Prices from CSV file") The CSV file looks like this:

AMZN.NE,22.65,07/05/2024
    AMZN.NE,22.54,08/05/2024

You can download as much historical data as you need.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@denbe52 appreciate teh update and great idea; would you mind sharing the Pythin script? Thank you.

• denbe52
    denbe52 Member ✭✭
    Options
  • JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@denbe52, much thanks, I will try it for both the CDRs as well as the few other securities that Quicken does not download.

Huge thank you!

• denbe52
    denbe52 Member ✭✭
    Options

@JoelC - you need to install yfinance using the nospam option

pip install yfinance[nospam]

That will automatically install the requests and pyrate limiters

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@denbe52 appreciate the heds up. I will try to find to work on this over the weekend as I need to tale crash cours eon Python and go for there. I am looking forward to it, just hope the weather sucks.