What first character will cause the category name to show at the bottom of its lists?

Options

Quicken for Mac subscription 7.6.1, macOS 12.7.4

the category sorting order in the category list and in the "All Category" list when entering or editing an transaction in the register does not appear to follow standard ASCII order. Alpha characters are sorted alphabetically whether or not capitalized. All numbers and other characters are sorted to the top before alpha characters. Anyone know of a special character that will sort the category name to the bottom of the list after "Z"?

Tagged:

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 29
    Options

I tried a few-and all reverted to the top. On a whim, I tried a Chinese symbol, and it went to the bottom. When Creating a new transaction, I used "Emoji and Symbols" to pull up the selector. I used this:

And this forced it to drop to the bottom:

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another suggestion I read here in the Community was to use "zz-" or "z" ("ZZ-" or "Z"?) as a prefix in front of the original category name, e.g., "zz- Test"

I was also told that, because the Mac does not use ASCII character sort orders, the often suggested method in Quicken for Windows to use the Tilde character on your keyboard ~ as a prefix will not work.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 29
    Options

In macOS, some Greek symbols sort to the bottom. I use Omega — Ω — which is Option-z on the keyboard.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Lion55
    Lion55 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you John_in_NC, UKR, and jacobs. All great answers. zz seems easiest. i should have thought of it. i will use Chinese or Greek symbols when i am feeling more elegant.

Thanks again!

P.S. Surprised to hear that macOS does not use ASCII sort order. Switched to Mac a few yeers ago so news to me.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 29
    Options

Surprised to hear that macOS does not use ASCII sort order. Switched to Mac a few years ago so news to me.

macOS uses Unicode, which is like ASCII on steroids. Actually, ASCII is a subset of Unicode, which means that Unicode includes the 128 characters that can be encoded in ASCII, plus about 1.1 million more. So, while ASCII is useful for representing characters in the English language, Unicode is capable of representing a much wider range of characters in other languages and scripts.

I knew I had a note about this somewhere: there are four characters which sort below z: in addition to Ω which I mentioned, the others are µ π and .

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993