Change lowercase amzn ticker symbol

Options
dan.greenberg.ct
dan.greenberg.ct Member ✭✭✭

This is a trivial question but something that bothers me so here we go. All my ticker symbols are uppercase, except for Amazon which shows as amzn. When I go to change it in the Securities window, it tells me that it already exists and doesn't save my changes. Is there anyway to change it? I'm thinking if I change it to something like AMZN2, save it and then change it to AMZN, it might work but it may still say amzn already exists. Again, a very minor issue but these things bother me πŸ˜€.

Worst case is I make a backup and try it but hoping somebody has an answer first.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer βœ“
    Options

Yes, it should work to change your "amazon" to "AMZN2". It will warn you that "Quicken cannot find this security", but just click OK. Then change it again to "AMZN". It won't report a duplicate because there is no "amzn" or "AMZN" in the database anymore. I just did several tests and it worked as we'd expect. (Of course, make a backup first just in case! πŸ˜‰)

Quicken Mac Subscription β€’ Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer βœ“
    Options

Yes, it should work to change your "amazon" to "AMZN2". It will warn you that "Quicken cannot find this security", but just click OK. Then change it again to "AMZN". It won't report a duplicate because there is no "amzn" or "AMZN" in the database anymore. I just did several tests and it worked as we'd expect. (Of course, make a backup first just in case! πŸ˜‰)

Quicken Mac Subscription β€’ Quicken user since 1993
  • dan.greenberg.ct
    dan.greenberg.ct Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for testing for me so I didn't have to! I just did it and it did work. I redownloaded price history but my ending balance didn't change so I should be ready to go. I appreciate your hard work!