How do I set up a bill to pay with Quick Pay

Options

First time trying to use Quicken Payments. I have a bill (at Chase) and multiple checking accounts set up for QuickPay, plus one checking account set up for both QuickPay and CheckPay.

I am trying to pay this bill with QuickPay, but the Action column under Bills only shows Check Pay.

Am I missing something? Some additional setup?

The Payments Accounts windows shows that both QuickPay and CheckPay are enabled.

I've also tried deleting the bill and re-adding it, still no QuickPay option.

Thanks

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

QuickPay does not work with accounts that are set up with the Express Web Connect+ connection method. At least not, yet, although Quicken has said they are trying to find a solution to address that.

Chase uses the Express Web Connect+ connection method so you cannot use QuickPay with Chase. CheckPay does work with Chase.

If you need to pay a bill more quickly than what CheckPay can accomplish you can try logging into your online account with the biller and set up the payment there to be pulled from your Chase account via ACH/EFT payment. Or you can log into your online account at Chase and try to set up the bill pay there.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

QuickPay does not work with accounts that are set up with the Express Web Connect+ connection method. At least not, yet, although Quicken has said they are trying to find a solution to address that.

Chase uses the Express Web Connect+ connection method so you cannot use QuickPay with Chase. CheckPay does work with Chase.

If you need to pay a bill more quickly than what CheckPay can accomplish you can try logging into your online account with the biller and set up the payment there to be pulled from your Chase account via ACH/EFT payment. Or you can log into your online account at Chase and try to set up the bill pay there.

• fredbythebeach
    Options

Thanks for that info. Hate to say how many hours I wasted trying to get that to work. However, at least I didn't waste more time trying to deal with Quicken support.

I will comment that it all seems like a devious plot by Quicken to move credit card downloads to EWC so that they can then charge me an extra $1 for each credit card bill I pay.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

The push has been to EWC+, not EWC. EWC, like DC, is gradually being replaced by EWC+.

EWC+ is simply Quicken's and Intuit's response to a new download protocol standard that's been developed by some of the biggest names in the financial industry. This new standard is a 1-way communication protocol unlike DC's 2-way communication protocol. So, unless and until that changes we will never be able to use the old DC Bank Bill Pay process with EWC+ because Bank Bill Pay requires 2-way communications.

That DC 2-way protocol is what allows us to send bill pay commands directly to the bank at no additional cost to Quicken nor to us. But since EWC and EWC+ do not have that 2-way communication capability it means that Quicken needed to contract with a 3rd party to provide QuickPay and CheckPay services and that costs Quicken money and, yes, we get to pay for that.

A Quicken employee once told me that the financial institutions told them they must support the new standard. To paraphrase what they told Quicken: Either get on board with the new standard or tell their customers they will no longer be able to download their financial transactions into Quicken.

I've actually pretty much gotten away from Bank Bill Pay and I don't use QuickPay nor CheckPay. I've set up automatic bill payments for almost all of my bills in my online accounts with the billers. After the initial set up it needs very little maintenance nor intervention on my part. It just pretty much takes care of itself….bills get paid on the due date 100% of the time….and it doesn't cost me one red cent to do that.