Disappearing Reminders (both bills and income)

Options

I do not use Online Billing. I only use Manual Billing.

I am using Release 56.9 (Quicken Deluxe, just updated yesterday (04/30/2024). I entered an income reminder for my Social Security check, occurring on the 4th Wednesday each month. I also entered an income reminder for my Pension check (the 1st of every month). I ask for the transaction to appear 90 days prior to execution of the transaction (ACH Credit to my Citi checking account). I then want to make a print-out of Projected Balances. The projected income deposits are not listed, nor are they listed in the list or calendar display of Income and Transfers. Sometimes, however, they are duplicated and I see two transaction entries for the ACH deposits for the same date. I don't know if it's I who am doing something wrong or a bug in the program. Can anyone help. Please — if at all possible — restrict using computer terminology, as I am not that computer literate where Quicken is concerned. This issue has been occurring for months now, so I do not believe the latest revision/update is the culprit.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Are you using "Remind me 90 days before" or are you using "Auto enter 90 days before"?
    AFAIK, you should avoid setting a monthly reminder to remind or auto enter more than 1 month before due date. There appears to be "feature" causing such reminders to act weird and skip one or more monthly instances ahead.

If you wish to see future account balances based on scheduled reminders, the Projected Balances view under the Bills & Income tab will give you an idea how your account balances might look like in the future.
    Doing it this way you don't have to preload your account register with transactions dated several months into the future. Setting your register to show reminders "as if they were real register transactions already" can also help.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13 Answer ✓
    Options

@Richard Gluckman - Another idea you might want to consider: In the Account Register….

1. Directly under the "Balance" column header and above the actual register is what looks like a small calendar. Click on that and make sure the box for Status is checked. This adds the Status column on the far left side of the register with the header being a blue dot.
    2. Above the register on the right next to the Gear icon is another icon that looks like a Clock. Click on that and select the number of days (from 7 days to 1 year) for how far out you would like Reminders to be shown in the register. Reminders shown in the register will be accounted for in the Balance column so you can see the exact projected balance.
    3. Reminders shown in the register will have the status shown in the Status column: Upcoming, Uncleared (entered but not cleared), Sent (if it is a Bank Bill Pay), Auto (if the Reminder will be auto-entered by Quicken), Due (it is time to enter the Reminder per the number of days set in the Reminder); Overdue (if the due date of the Reminder has passed and the Reminder is not yet entered) and perhaps a few others.

I use this method extensively for planning my cash flow requirements for my checking accounts. I have most of my recurring bills, incomes and transfers set up with Reminders so this is really helpful to me and I'm really pleased with it. It allows you to see the Reminders in the register without actually needing to enter them until you really need to. I also use it with my credit cards, mostly for projecting the payment dates and amounts so they are properly reflected the checking accounts.

Here is a picture showing what it looks like when it's all set up. (No, this is not a real account balance….I wish it were! 😁 It's just a fake account in a test file.)

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Are you using "Remind me 90 days before" or are you using "Auto enter 90 days before"?
    AFAIK, you should avoid setting a monthly reminder to remind or auto enter more than 1 month before due date. There appears to be "feature" causing such reminders to act weird and skip one or more monthly instances ahead.

If you wish to see future account balances based on scheduled reminders, the Projected Balances view under the Bills & Income tab will give you an idea how your account balances might look like in the future.
    Doing it this way you don't have to preload your account register with transactions dated several months into the future. Setting your register to show reminders "as if they were real register transactions already" can also help.

• Richard Gluckman
    Richard Gluckman Member ✭✭
    Options

The jury is out for the moment. Let me try your suggestion and then get back to you.

• Richard Gluckman
    Options

It appears that this issue is now resolved, following your suggestion. I hope they will be able eventually to repair the "reminder bug." Thanks for your suggestion!

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13 Answer ✓
    Options

@Richard Gluckman - Another idea you might want to consider: In the Account Register….

1. Directly under the "Balance" column header and above the actual register is what looks like a small calendar. Click on that and make sure the box for Status is checked. This adds the Status column on the far left side of the register with the header being a blue dot.
    2. Above the register on the right next to the Gear icon is another icon that looks like a Clock. Click on that and select the number of days (from 7 days to 1 year) for how far out you would like Reminders to be shown in the register. Reminders shown in the register will be accounted for in the Balance column so you can see the exact projected balance.
    3. Reminders shown in the register will have the status shown in the Status column: Upcoming, Uncleared (entered but not cleared), Sent (if it is a Bank Bill Pay), Auto (if the Reminder will be auto-entered by Quicken), Due (it is time to enter the Reminder per the number of days set in the Reminder); Overdue (if the due date of the Reminder has passed and the Reminder is not yet entered) and perhaps a few others.

I use this method extensively for planning my cash flow requirements for my checking accounts. I have most of my recurring bills, incomes and transfers set up with Reminders so this is really helpful to me and I'm really pleased with it. It allows you to see the Reminders in the register without actually needing to enter them until you really need to. I also use it with my credit cards, mostly for projecting the payment dates and amounts so they are properly reflected the checking accounts.

Here is a picture showing what it looks like when it's all set up. (No, this is not a real account balance….I wish it were! 😁 It's just a fake account in a test file.)

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• Richard Gluckman
    Options

Thanks so much for this. I appreciate the time you took to write such a clear explanation. Best wishes!