QFX import not working for Citi Visa download (edit)

Options
Jerry&
Jerry& Member ✭✭

When I try to import a Citi VISA QFX file the screen blinks briefly but nothing else happens. Since attempting to activate web connect fails immediately (indicating a time-out) I have no other way to input the data, aside from manually entering it. I discussed this with a guy last (after waiting for 20min for the chat to start) and he eventually said just to wait for a day and it would work. Seems this is another way of saying that I'm SOL. Others are complaining about this issue. Has anyone found a solution? With the ability to somehow download data, this program is worthless. I have Quicken Premier running on Windows 11.

Tagged:

Comments

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Jerry& can you clarify what you are doing when "attempting to active web connect"? What message are you getting to indicate a time-out? The first time you import transactions using WC, you need to link to the existing account on Quicken. Have you been able to do this?

The WC connection is fairly simple. There are reasons why your transactions aren't downloading which doesn't necessarily mean there is an issue, so you aren't SOL. There are several things you can try to verify that the connection is working.

• Jerry&
    Jerry& Member ✭✭
    Options

I right click on the account, then Edit/Delete Account, then click Online Services tab.

I click the Setup Now button, and get the "Add Account frame - Quicken Classic uses Intuit to Connect." I click Continue.

Activate One Step Update frame appears, I click Sign In. I immediately get "Sign into Citibank bank failed. Try Again." I try again. It fails again. I try again. It fails again.

I download the QFX file from Citi Bank VISA and the file appears in my Downloads folder. I check the file and it looks OK, with the correct last digits of the account number and with recent transaction dates. I try to import the QFX file with File | File Import | Web Connect (QFX) File and select the file. I'm offered the choice of Activate Web Connect. I try this and it does not work, just as before. I try again to import the QFX file, selecting "No do not activate One Step Update" and the screen blinks briefly but no changes appear. I repeat the attempt to import, several times. Sometimes it offers the choice of Activate Web Connect / Do not….., and sometimes it does not.

Bottom line: No data gets imported. There are various reports of problems with Citibank. I get that there are no doubt complications due to the various ways different banks handle stuff; however, importing a QFX file should be pretty much the first thing that software QA should check. It doesn't work. Are these developers professional financial services guys or high school kids off shore?

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Jerry& it looks like you have multiple issues.

—Not being able to activate an online connection link with Express Web Connect (EWC+)

I found this Alert and the last item in the thread might resolve your issue.

—When I am downloading a QFX file a pop-up box offers to activate One Step Update

Simply just ignore this message and click "No" and check "Do not ask again"

—When loading a QFX file, no transactions seem to be uploading to Quicken

1. The first thing to do is go to the Online Services tab in Account Details and click on "Deactivate".
    2. Then go to the General tab and clear out the Financial Institution Name and Account Number.
    3. Then download a current QFX file from your online account.
    4. Click on the file to upload it to Quicken.
    5. Do an Alt-Tab to toggle back to Quicken
    6. You should see a dialog box confirming which account the transactions should be downloaded to.
    7. Carefully choose the existing account on Quicken.
    8. Once you have established a link for the QFX file, it will automatically download to that account without having to specify each time.

Give these steps a try and if you run into issues or have questions, please circle back.

• Jerry&
    Jerry& Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the tips; unfortunately, they don't work. In Online services tab, I can't Deactivate since I was not able to activate it. I cleared out the Financial Institution Name and Account Number and tried to download the QFX file, with the same result as before: the screen blinks briefly but no other changes appear.

I'm wondering if Quicken is just not displaying the list of uncleared imported items: the entire screen is occupied by the items previously accepted. At the bottom, there is a line indicating "Bill and Income Reminders (0 Due)", but no uncleared items. Is it possible that the items were imported but the proper window is not displaying?

• Jerry&
    Jerry& Member ✭✭
    Options

I just saw the earlier suggestion to try creating a new account and importing the QFX file into that account. This worked OK, although after adding the account, when I tried to import the QFX file into that account, a new account was created, requiring a new name. However, this went OK. Not sure where I should go from here.

I've been using Quicken since 1992 (!) so I'm eager to get this fixed.

Thanks

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Jerry& sorry the suggestions didn't work. Yes, it works if you download the transaction to a new account. Probably, the reason why the transactions won't download to the existing account is that for some reason Quicken thinks they were downloaded before. Once transactions are downloaded, Quicken will not allow them to be downloaded again so there won't be duplicates. That is why you are able to download the transactions to a new account. This usually happens when transactions are downloaded and then deleted instead of posted.

With the new account working, you can move all transactions from the "old" account into the new one.

The Move command is simple to use, but tricky. Depending on how you have your register set up, there are several ways to get to the Move command.

One way is to right click on a transaction, and then in the menu, click on "Move Transaction(s)". You can highlight a group of transactions by highlighting the first transaction, and then clicking on the last transaction in the list while holding the Shift key. To move the group of transactions, right click on any transaction in the group, and then click on the move command.

You will be first asked which account to move the transactions to. Choose the new account. Then it might ask if it ok to move reconciled transactions. Click on "OK". If you have a lot of transactions to move, sometimes it's best to move them in groups because moving a lot of transactions can take a while.

After the transactions are all moved successfully you should end up with an empty "old" account.

Before you start moving transactions, make a backup of your data file. Also it wouldn't hurt to create a full transaction report for the "old" account, just in case you need to verify transaction after they are moved to the new account.

Please let me know if you run into any issues or have any questions.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The financial institution you should use for Citi credit cards is "Citi Cards", not "Citibank". When activating the account, type just "Citi" to get the 2 choices.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

look at the QFX file with Notepad - its just plain text -
    and scroll down to look for the <FID> or <INTU.BID> number
    What is it ?
    There are lots of CITI entries for Quicken -
    need to determine which 5-digit number is in your downloaded QFX file -

<FI>
    <ORG>B1
    <FID>99999
    </FI>
    <INTU.BID>99999
    </SONRS>

04894 04894 04894 Citi Cards
    https://online.citi.com/US/login.do 1-800-347-4934
    https://online.citibank.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do ACTIVE
    CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT
    CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT
    ——

02102 02102 02102 Citibank
    https://online.citibank.com/US/Welcome.c 1-800-374-9700
    https://online.citibank.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do ACTIVE
    BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jerry&
    Jerry& Member ✭✭
    Options

Ay yi yi! I was able to import the QFX file to a new account, but it turned out that I inadvertently made the new account in a new test file. That worked fine, but there does not appear to be a way to get these transactions into the account on my main file. I tried making the account in the main file, but when I import the QFX, I get the same result as before: the screen blinks and nothing seems to change. Has Quicken assumed that the data was already imported (on another account in this file) and avoided the import? I'm beginning to see why this is complicated - you don't want to import the same stuff twice.

To Ps56k2 and RocketJSquirrel: Thanks for the tips. I checked the file and, even though I downloaded from https://online.citi.com/US/login.do , I find the QFX file showing:

<FI>
    <ORG>Citibank
    <FID>2102
    </FI>

(Hey Rocky - Seems I need to pull a rabbit out of a hat.)

• QuickUserPSP
    edited May 5
    Options

@Jerry& I have been doing some testing and experimenting with QFX files and confirmed that if transactions are downloaded to an account and deleted, they cannot be downloaded again.

When you look on the General tab in Account Details for the original account, what is currently in Financial Institution and Account Number? On the Online Services tab, does it show any connection, or does it only have "Set up now".

You should have been able to create a new account in the existing file by making sure that the old account is deactivated, and then upload a QFX file and telling it to create a new account. Since it is a new account, transactions then would be downloaded.

• QuickUserPSP
    edited May 6
    Options

@Jerry& - there is an alternate way to get the missing transactions into Quicken that might work for you. If you are able to download transactions to a CSV or text file form the Citibank website, you can then reformat it to the "Mint CSV" format and import it into Quicken.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

You don't need to mess with QFX or CSV files.

Simply change the FI from Citibank to Citi Cards and you will be able to download credit card transactions via One Step Update.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jerry&
    Jerry& Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried to connect with the Financial institution to Citi Cards and got the same problem: it immediately indicates a time-out. I also tried modifying the QFX file to indicate Citi Cards instead of Citibank and that did not work.

I tried downloading a CSV file, but the CSV file from Citi Cards / Citibank does not have the proper format. It has

Status / Date / Description / Debit / Credit / Member Name

Getting this into the proper form for importing would be a pretty big hassle.

The account shows "Set up Now". When I try to set it up, it immediately bails out. I tried making a new account in the same file, and this does not import the QFX file either - with the same result as before.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Jerry& - it looks like you have issues with your data file that go beyond just not being able to download from Citibank. At this point, I would strongly recommend contacting Quicken Support, if you haven't already. They have the tools to read and analyze the error logs, and hopefully have solutions for you. If you get a chance, you can also look at the "Alerts & Known Products Issues" category for issues with Citibank.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options

• CharlesG
    CharlesG Member
    Options

really QuickenUserSP? They have tools?

I've not been able to consistently update citi accounts since the beginning of the year. All of the suggestions and support work have not resolved this issue. It shocks me that any suggestion for a user to edit a file is being made.

To a real question - you said, "If you get a chance, you can also look at the "Alerts & Known Products Issues" category for issues with Citibank." while another post said to use Citi Cards. Can you clarify?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

When activating the credit card account in Quicken, do not click on either of the Citi icons presented. Instead, type "Citi" into the search field. This will present "Citi Cards" as a choice. Choose that and continue. After connecting successfully to Citi Cards, you should be able to download transactions via One Step Update and/or Update Now.