How do I restore a deleted custom category?

Options

I just discovered that I accidentally deleted a custom category and related subcategories somehow. I backup my Quicken file weekly, but and I'm not sure when it happened. Is there a way to reset the category back to active without restoring categories from a backup file since I don't know which backup file contains the deleted categories? (Quicken for Windows Subscription Version R56.9 on Windows 11 Home)

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why can't you simply re-create the categories in the same manner of adding any category?

Baring that, you'll probably have to Restore … but restore to a different name (don't overwrite your current file) just in case.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 3
    Options

@Debsmagick - You don't mention if the category was being used or not. If you had transactions that used that category then when the category was deleted, you should have been asked what category you want to replace the deleted one with. If you do not specify a category, the category for the transaction is changed to "unspecified".

If the category was unused, then you can simply readd the custom category.

• Debsmagick
    Debsmagick Member
    Options

I tried to readd the custom category but received a 'duplicate category' error message. I assume because there are transactions posted to the category. Like I said, I'm not exactly sure how the category got deleted and was not asked what category to replace the deleted one with. Thanks for your suggestions!

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

BUT, if the category was truly deleted, then you shouldn't be getting that message … as all uses of the category would have been deleted also.

Could it be that the category was merely hidden? Try TOOLS, Category List and click "Show Hidden Categories" at the bottom.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Debsmagick if you get that message when you try to readd the category then that usually means it exists somewhere. When you look at your category list, are you choosing all categories? There are filters for viewing specific category types that don't reset automatically.

In the "Show" box ensure that "Full List" shows.

The only other possibility that a category can't be added is that you have an account name with the same name as the category.

After everything is tried and nothing works then I would do a validate and super validate on your data file. There is a possibility that you have some file corruption.