debits and credits backwards on some of my cc accounts

Options
pjd514
pjd514 Unconfirmed, Member

All of a sudden all my credit card transactions are showing in reverse, charges are subtracting from balance and payments are adding. 

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What color is lhe Balance column in the card account. It should be RED, indicating that you owe the card company.

If it's BLACK, either you've overpaid or you're missing card transactions, or both.

A graphic of the issue (JPG format, please) would be helpful.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

also look at the account Opening Balance to see if Quicken randomly changed it -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are the charges and payments in the right columns? Or is just the balance is going the wrong way? Here's some ideas. If you are just using the Amount column we suggest using the Charge and Payment columns and drop the Amount column.

First make sure you are sorted in Date order with the newest date at the bottom. If you are not then click the DATE Column heading to sort.

Sounds like you're running a credit balance. Is the balance in red or black? Look back through your transactions and maybe you'll spot one that was entered backward. Or a payment in the charge column or a charge in the payment column. Look around back where this first started happening. Or maybe you are missing some charges?

If the balance is in Black, it means you have a credit on the card. Like if you overpaid the bill or got a refund for something you returned. When you enter a charge it will reduce (decrease) the credit you have available on it. And a payment will increase the balance.

Also make sure you have the right starting balance. If it's zero you might need to add a beginning balance for when you started the account in Quicken. I've been reading the opening balance might have got changed during an update or when syncing.

The credit card balance you OWE should be in RED. If the balance is Black then it's showing the credit card company owes you and you have a credit balance. And then when you make a payment it's like the cc owes you more. So you need to go back though your entries and find where the balance switched to black to being in your favor.

See this for more info…..

https://www.quicken.com/support/positive-black-balance-credit-card-account

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• pjd514
    pjd514 Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

Thank you everyone.

Somehow the payments were adding to the balance and the charges were decreasing the balance.

I did go back to 2022 and found some duplicate entries - deleted them and made an adjusting entry. That account is now decreasing the balance with a payment and increasing with a charge. yay.

I have another account that is doing the same thing. The entries for that account began in 2009 and it was fine until sometime in 2023. I am just going to do an adjustment and cross my fingers that the next download will right itself.

Again, thank you.