Quicken is prompting for my Quicken ID every two weeks (edit)

Options

After the latest release, I am getting prompted for my Quicken ID every two weeks. This is a big change from prior experience. Why is this happening???

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We're other users, not Q programmers or management … so we can't definitively answer your question … other than I haven't seen such

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Redeye I am curious to know if you do any of these activities with regular frequency -

• Share your Quicken data file between two or more computers
    • Restore a backup file, but not overlaying your current Quicken data file
    • Use multiple Quicken data files at the same time

I sometimes get asked to sign on with my Quicken ID. It always seems to happen after certain tasks or events, and I am curious to know if other users are experiencing something similar.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another event that might cause a login request is something that causes your computer's IP address to change - rebooting your cable modem for example. This is just a guess.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Redeye
    Redeye Member ✭✭
    Options

My usage pattern, location, internet provider, router, and computer used has not changed in a few years. But yes, I do reboot my modem/router every few weeks as a security measure. I have been told that this clears any transient issues in these devices that might invite malware. I also check for software updates on these devices and this normally requires a reboot to install updates.

My primary use of this product is to track my investments, so the only real value it has for me is the download of transactions. Other than that, the rest of the software is largely useless. And the repeated Quicken ID login is just another symptom of how Quicken has lost touch with their customers.

On a more positive note, I have been moving my investment portfolio to a simpler structure. This will make getting transactions much easier. At some point in the near future, I can dump Quicken forever. Their abusive subscription model is simply not worth it.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Jim_Harman I think you may be on to something. I am guessing that Quicken uses the IP address to confirm the user's identity, as many companies do. Anytime the IP address changes, then the user is required to reconfirm their identity.

The question becomes, what is the user, or the user's systems or hardware doing to cause the IP address to change? I reboot my router on a daily basis, but I have been rarely asked to sign in with my Quicken ID with the events I noted in my first comment.

@Redeye - Rebooting your router could be the reason why you are asked to verify your Quicken ID. I would look upon the request for Quicken ID verification as a positive thing. It is there to protect your data file and information from fraud and unauthorized access.

• Redeye
    Redeye Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, it may be IP tracking based. On some systems, a reboot will not necessarily change IP. On others, who knows? I will experiment with my system to see if the IP changes on reboot.

Yes, repeated Quicken ID requests does improve security. But if they are so committed to tightened security, why don't they do it for everyone?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Yes, repeated Quicken ID requests does improve security. But if they are
    so committed to tightened security, why don't they do it for everyone?

Because not everyone's IP address changes with the frequency that yours apparently does.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Redeye there are multitudes of system configurations, hardware, software, so who knows why one user gets asked more than another. But I really doubt that any user is targeted when asked to verify their Quicken ID.