Changing reminder - Payroll frequency

Options

Windows Classic - Is it better to edit a paycheck reminder to permanently change payroll frequency, or end the old frequency and set-up a new one?

Paycheck reminders were setup years ago using the 'paycheck setup wizard'. Now the company is switching from semi-monthly to bi-weekly payroll.

I've had trouble with payroll reminders in the past. Something happened a few years ago and I had to re-enter all the payrolls from the first of the year to get the payrolls and the frequency straight, but I do not remember the specifics, I just know it caused a big issue. I do change the deductions and info like that all the time, but never touch the date, and obviously have never changed the frequency. So should I change the reminder (edit this instance and all future instances) or set-up a new one using paycheck setup wizard?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

With the change in frequency, I'd expect that ALL of the amounts would change also.

For example, your gross pay per period will now be 1/26th of the annual amount instead of 1/24th.

SO, I'd create a new paycheck transaction.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just to be cautious, I would create a backup before working on the paycheck reminder.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list