Transferring Individual Vanguard Fund Transactions Into New Vanguard Brokerage Account

Options
robert@
robert@ Member ✭✭

Hello,

I have been a Quicken user since 1992 (Windows, Current Rev. R56.9) and a Vanguard mutual fund owner for almost as long. All of my transactions are manually entered.

Last year Vanguard prodded some of its customers into moving their individual mutual fund accounts into a single brokerage account. I want to duplicate this transfer in Quicken. My questions are:

1. What is the best way to transfer my mutual fund transactions into the new brokerage account?
  2. Should I transfer only those transactions which occurred after they were consolidated in the brokerage account (leaving the prior transactions in the old individual fund accounts, or transfer all transactions from inception? Does it matter which way I do it?

My goal is to preserve all of my historical data and continue performance analysis without fragmenting the reports into multiple line items for the separate periods.

Thank you for your interest,

Tagged:

Answers

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 6
    Options

@robert@ I would emulate what Vanguard does. Most likely they will close the old accounts and transfer all funds to a new account, leaving transaction history in the old accounts. You can do the same on Quicken. Even if the old accounts are hidden and/or closed, their historical transactions will still be available for reports and graphs.

The new combined account at Vanguard will probably be opened before the securities and cash are transferred out of the old accounts, and both old and new accounts will probably stay open until all trading and residual income has settled and transferred out.

The import thing is to make sure cost is transferred accurately from the old accounts to the new account. If you download transactions from Vanguard review the transactions carefully as sometimes these Remove and Add transactions need to be manually adjusted so to ensure the correct cost amounts are being reflected. Your account statements would probably be good for verifying cost. I don't know if Vanguard provides you the ability to download detailed security positions and transactions into a spreadsheet, if so that is a better cost and transaction verification tool.

There is a "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" transaction on Quicken, that could be possibly used to transfer shares from the old accounts to the new combined account. I have never used this feature. I am hoping someone in the forum who has can provide some information, if needed.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I did Remove and Add from my Single Mutual Fund accounts to the new Brokerage Account. I sure like having them all in one account instead of separate accounts for each mutual fund. Here's my post when I did it. It might help or give you ideas or what to watch out for. Oh and this was in Quicken for Windows 2013 so everything is manual.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.