How to open 2015 QDF file

Options
Dad004
Dad004 Member

I have been using Quicken 2015 for quite some time. I recently upgraded my PC, and reinstalled Quicken. Quicken will not open the QDF file. It "tries" to open it, but it will display a blank screen. I have found my fixes, but none work. For example, install Quicken from CD, then apply vcredist_x86, followed by QW2015R17.4MPatch.

Can someone provide a way for me to get it working?

Answers

• TomUpNorth
    TomUpNorth Member ✭✭
    Options

What did you "upgrade your PC" to? A new one with Windows 11 maybe? As 2015 is almost ten years old, you should consider to upgrade to the latest Quicken (subscription model).

I am still using Windows 7 but the latest Quicken Classic Deluxe works fine for me, thankfully not requiring me to update Windows.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9
    Options

@Dad004 - Sorry, I wish I had better news for you but you might be out of luck. The Quicken.ini file generated by an install or reinstall of QWin 2014-QWin 2017 is not compatible with the current initialization/activation process at Quicken.com. You have a couple of options you could try to see if you can get your QWin 2015 to function.:

• If you have your old computer, do a search on it for the Quicken.ini file. If you find it, copy it and paste it over the Quicken.ini file on your new computer. Then try to open and use your QWin 2015.
    • If that fails, you can try doing what is described in this webpage: https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/blanklogin2014-2017.html .

There is no guarantee that either of these will resolve the issue. Some have posted that they do but others have posted that they don't.

Another option if you still have your old computer with Quicken still installed on it and it still works: Continue to run your QWin 2015 on it instead of on your new computer.

There has been quite a bit posted in this forum about this issue. Here is one thread specific for QWin 2017 but it is applicable to QWin 2014-QWin 2017.

Note that QWin 2015 is an unsupported product since 2018 so there will be no fix for this coming from Quicken Inc..

If none of these options works for you, you might have no recourse to access your data file other than to purchase a subscription.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R57.16 on Windows 11

• Dad004
    Dad004 Member
    Options

Thanks for the response. I looked briefly at subscriptions. Which one would work for what I described? Do the offer a free trial?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Dad004
    Dad004 Member
    Options

Is it possible to open a 2015 QDF file in Quicken 2013?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What you might want to take into consideration regarding Subscription: Subscribe to Deluxe or higher for the 1st year and do not renew it when the subscription expires.. You will be able to continue using it manually for no additional cost. (This applies to Deluxe, Premier and Business & Personal, not to Starter which will become read-only.)

Just note that there will be banners reminding you to resubscribe that will take up about 20%-25% of the Quicken screen and those banners can be removed only by resubscribing. It bothers some people but others seem to tolerate it, especially since there is no additional cost involved.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R57.16 on Windows 11

• Dad004
    Dad004 Member
    Options

I found a free version of 2013. I think I'm going to use that and start over.

Thanks for all the input.

This discussion has been closed.