Which program do I need for Personal + Small business ? (edit)

Options
Katherine-C
Katherine-C Member
edited June 11 in Before you Buy

Run Windows 10. Need it for our personal records and a small business that doesn’t need payroll.

Best Answers

• veegee
    veegee Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Personally, I would start with Desktop Windows Quicken Deluxe. Have used it for 20 or so years. If you need to issue checks etc. perhaps Quickbooks might be a better choice for business use.

BIO= https://www.linkedin.com/in/venupgopal. Experience: BIO/details/experience, Education: BIO/details/education, Honors: BIO/details/honors, Skills: BIO/details/skills, Publications: BIO/details/publications, Patents: BIO/details/patents

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

A backup copy, YES.

But, unlike QB, there's no "Accountant's copy". I.E., any changes that the Acct might make to the file that they receive won't be recorded in your copy of the Q data file, unless you RESTORE the Acct's copy to your machine.

BUT, if you do that, then all changes that you've made to the file since you created to backup will be lost.

You've probably better off in working with the Acct to determine what they need, and just sending a report. Which the 2 of you can discuss and you make appropriate updates to your copy of the file.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• veegee
    veegee Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Personally, I would start with Desktop Windows Quicken Deluxe. Have used it for 20 or so years. If you need to issue checks etc. perhaps Quickbooks might be a better choice for business use.

BIO= https://www.linkedin.com/in/venupgopal. Experience: BIO/details/experience, Education: BIO/details/education, Honors: BIO/details/honors, Skills: BIO/details/skills, Publications: BIO/details/publications, Patents: BIO/details/patents

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

what kind of business -
    and do you use an accountant for the business end of year -

Quicken is mainly focused on personal finances,
    but has some version support for a small business and rentals -

• Katherine-C
    Katherine-C Member
    Options

We have land that we rent to our son. No salaries are paid. We have been using QuickBooks 2016, but are unable to print any of our records. I’m looking for a program I can email a backup copy to the CPA plus print reports. And I want to be able to do our personal records plus the business.

• Katherine-C
    Katherine-C Member
    Options

I’m currently using a 2016 QuickBooks program but it isn’t supported anymore so I’m unable to print any records. Originally we had another business that had 3 employees and I needed the payroll portion of the program. But we are no longer in that business. I had been looking at either the Classic Deluxe or Classic Premier.

• Katherine-C
    Katherine-C Member
    Options

Does the Classic Deluxe program allow you to send a backup copy to your accountant via email ?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

A backup copy, YES.

But, unlike QB, there's no "Accountant's copy". I.E., any changes that the Acct might make to the file that they receive won't be recorded in your copy of the Q data file, unless you RESTORE the Acct's copy to your machine.

BUT, if you do that, then all changes that you've made to the file since you created to backup will be lost.

You've probably better off in working with the Acct to determine what they need, and just sending a report. Which the 2 of you can discuss and you make appropriate updates to your copy of the file.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you give the accountant a copy of a Quicken data file ending in .QDF or .QDF-Backup I doubt they would be able to open it unless they also have Quickdn installed. Quicken is a personal finance program and isn't a true accounting program. Whenever I tried to give an accountant or tax person or lawyer a copy or report they didn't want it that way. It's not in the format they use. Like I was keeping track of a Trust and the tax accountant I went to to do the tax return didn't want my Quicken info. I had to go back and enter everything over in a spreadsheet.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

just managing your expectations - Quicken is not like QuickBooks -

Quicken is focused on Personal finances, and as such, presents most data in a Register format - much like viewing a checkbook register.
    From there - it expands on that "data" and all reports as such come from a Register associated with an account.
    So - depending upon what you do, how you expect data to be represented, which entries are Business vs Personal - and what your accountant will even accept …. it's a coin toss -

You could purchase the Deluxe or the Business version - try it out for 30 days, and either keep it, or return it -
    all Quicken versions use the extra same QDF data file - just different features are enabled …
    Deluxe - has most all features for Personal tracking + some expanded reporting
    Premiere - has all the same + more tax & investment reporting
    Business - allows the splitting between Personal & Business accounts and entries

This discussion has been closed.