Quicken 99 - Reminders issues

Rory714
Rory714 Quicken Windows Other Member

I have Quicken 99 - there is a reminder stuck on the reminder screen - normally I would double click on it and it would get moved as a transaction to the appropriate register, like the checking account. However, this one is stuck - nothing happens when I double click on it, I can't edit it, I can't skip it - it's already been paid, it is no longer showing on the calendar - how can I get rid of it from the Reminder tab?

fyi, the Quicken.QDF, .QEL and .QSD files are sitting on a OneDrive folder, so I can access my Quicken details from 2 different PCs that have Quicken installed. I think this does cause issues because when I move to the secondary PC, old, processed reminders are still shown, but they do not show on the main PC.

Comments

• RalphC
    RalphC Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Patient to Doctor: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

Doctor to Patient: "Well, don't do that."

First of all, Quicken is not written to be accessed on a server and you will experience issues attempting to do so. You'd be better served using a sneaker net approach to multiple computers. Or, if memory serves, back in those days Quicken data was multiple files contained in a folder. Don't directly access the data on the server but, first, copy the data folder to the local computer and then launch Quicken. Then, after saving and exiting, save the folder back to the Onedrive server.

To resolve your issue, I suspect that your data is now corrupt. I'd first try to restore a known-good backup.

• splasher
    splasher Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

One method of getting around the potential OneDrive issue is to ALWAYS turn off OneDrive prior to starting Quicken and not turning it back on until Quicken is completely closed.

I agree with @ralphc that it sounds like your data file is corrupted. You could try to see if a Validate (File menu) can resolve the problem, otherwise restoring a backup that does not exhibit the issue is your only choice.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rory714
    Rory714 Quicken Windows Other Member

thank you both for your feedback. I tried restoring but I guess I don't have a version from before the issue 😕 I also tried the Validate - not sure what that did, but it didn't resolve the issue either…. 😔

where/ how does quicken pull the reminder data into that tab? if the transaction is not on the calendar anymore, why would it still be on the reminder tab? is there a file or something I could look at or edit?

• volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't about your problems but in the future You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now.  Then it should run on newer versions of Windows.  Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013.

2013 should run on Newer Windows.  You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.  Click on the Blue words....Quicken 2013 for Windows in step 3.

If your version is 2003 or earlier you will need to first convert to 2004.  Then convert to 2013.  Read that whole article on converting.

And FYI - If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010.  https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.