.dat files on my desktop (edit)

Robin Lee
Robin Lee Member ✭✭

I am a looong time quicken user since the very first quicken program released (can't remember year) Currently running UTD subscription and use quicken daily. I have a Windows 11 and super fast computer running google chrome. So, over the past few months I have been getting .dat files on my desktop which is incredibly annoying. I have read discussions and tried several solutions. None of them have worked for me. But I think they don't work is because I don't under the solutions very well. Is there anyone who can type the step by step instructions to move files? or have a quicken support phone number? When I did try deleting or moving, the .dat file just reappeared on my desktop. the .dat file I currently have is

20130508.pm12.20cpy_SyncLog.dat

In addition, for some reason I seem to have 20130508.PM12.20Cpy as my main icon for quicken

I understand I can delete them and if I can delete them, why is quicken even creating them?

Thank you Robin Lee

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The .DAT files are created in the same directory (folder) where your .QDF data file lives. I assume yours is on your desktop. Move your data file elsewhere and the .DAT files will follow. They'll still be created, but you won't have to see them.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Robin Lee
    Robin Lee Member ✭✭

they didn't follow, next time I backed up they appeared on desktop

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Is your backup file on the desktop?

And, previously created .DAT files won't move when you move the QDF … but new ones should go to the directory that holds the QDF.

And, after you move the QDF, take a just-in-case backup, and you can delete those DAT files from your desktop.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.