Can't connect to Citi account

mikefarinha
mikefarinha Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I just purchased quicken classic and have been able to connect multiple accounts… but not my citi credit card account. I always get the "Incomplete Registration" error. I've scoured the support forms and it appears citi has intermittent problems connecting.

I've tried the following to try and get it to connect.

1. set different browsers as default (chrome, edge, Firefox)
  2. logged into Citi website, went to profile → More settings → manage desktop apps and clicked add access to ensure Citi wasn't blocking the connection.
  3. Used advance settings in the quicken add account settings to try and connect using Express Web Connect and Direct Connect.
  4. Tried using different Citi connection options in the add account window (Citibank, Citi Cards, Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi)
  5. Submitted an issue through quicken Help → "Report a problem" but haven't heard back yet.

I'm not sure if there are any other methods i missed. Looking through the reported issues i don't see citi listed.

Can someone explain what is going on or offer help?

Best Answer

• mikefarinha
    Answer ✓

I've actually figured it out on my own.

I signed up for a trial account with Monarch Money and had the exact same error when trying to have it connect to my Citi account. That made it pretty clear that the issue was with Citi.

I did some more digging and came across this reddit thread where other people had the same problem with Mint several years ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/mintuit/comments/q6tldk/comment/hmjo9dh/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3

The problem is that my Citi account believes one of my credit cards has not been fully activated (even though we use them everyday). There is nothing a user can do to fix this so you have to call Citi tech support and explain the problem. Hopefully you'll get someone helpful on the line that can make the change needed. The change that I had to request was to completely delete my online account. After it was deleted I create a new account and link my credit cards back up to it and... voila, the connection works!

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Quicken Mac Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @mikefarinha,

We do currently have an active alert regarding this issue with CitiBank which you can view here. As per the alert, "If you are experiencing this, please refer to Citi support for assistance. This error is on their website and requires their intervention."

While submitting a problem report provides the logs that our support agents will need to escalate, they are unable to proceed with escalation unless they have you live on the phone or chat with them. Submitting a problem report without contacting support will only be used for tracking and investigative purposes when there is a widespread issue. And as stated at the top of the problem report submission screen, you will not receive a direct response by submitting.

Thank you!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikefarinha - Until this connection issue for you gets resolved, you could try using the Web Connect method. With WC you log into your online account and then manually download transactions/account data in the QFX file format (they show it as QFX - Quicken download format). Once the file is manually downloaded you can then import it by double clicking on the file to open it with Quicken. It's not ideal but at least you can get downloaded data instead of having to manually enter it all the time. And once the issue is fixed you will be able to upgrade the connection to DC or EWC+.

BTW, I have 3 Citi credit cards. Costco Visa and Rewards+ Visa cards download really well for me using the Citi Cards DC option

My other Citi credit cards is a co-branded retail card (Sears MasterCard) which has its own financial institution link (Sears Card) and cannot be dowloaded via any other Citi financial institution link. If you have a co-branded retail card you might want to see if there is a financial institution link for that specific retailer and then try setting up downloads with that one.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• mikefarinha
    Answer ✓

I've actually figured it out on my own.

I signed up for a trial account with Monarch Money and had the exact same error when trying to have it connect to my Citi account. That made it pretty clear that the issue was with Citi.

I did some more digging and came across this reddit thread where other people had the same problem with Mint several years ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/mintuit/comments/q6tldk/comment/hmjo9dh/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3

The problem is that my Citi account believes one of my credit cards has not been fully activated (even though we use them everyday). There is nothing a user can do to fix this so you have to call Citi tech support and explain the problem. Hopefully you'll get someone helpful on the line that can make the change needed. The change that I had to request was to completely delete my online account. After it was deleted I create a new account and link my credit cards back up to it and... voila, the connection works!

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikefarinha - Interesting. I've never heard of that issue before. I'm glad you got it figured out and it is working for you now. Hopefully, if anyone else experiences this issue they will see your post so they can fix it, too.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.