Zero out investment account so does not change net worth reports for past activity

chazkov
chazkov Member
edited July 16 in Investing (Windows)

Hello,

I had transferred investments accounts from one brokerage firm to another in 2023. For report purposes I excluded the old accounts from being included in reports not knowing that when I did this it was going to exclude theses balances in all the prior year's reports. I did not zero out the balances at the time of transfer or transfer between old and new. I just stopped downloading from one firm and started downloading from the other firm.

How do I go back and correct this so the balances in the old accounts show up in the reports and are not duplicated in future reports?

Thanks for any help.

Steven

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

What's still left in the old account? Securities? Cash?

And, how did you record this change in Q?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• chazkov
    chazkov Member

All the last downloaded balances prior to transferring to new broker account are still there. They consist of stocks, bonds, mutual funds cash etc…

When downloading from new account I just started from there. I realize that I did not handle the transfer as I should have but now realize my mistake and want to fix so I have the history.

Thanks

• chazkov
    chazkov Member

In addition, the investment account is in an IRA

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Enter a Remove Shares for each security dated to the time of the transfer.

A better original path would have been the Shares Transferred between Accounts which would have generated Remove Shares and Add Shares as applicable. My suggestion is just filling in the omitted Remove Shares.

• chazkov
    chazkov Member

Yes when I did the download of the new accounts, I was not thinking it thru. Lesson learned.

Thank you zeroing out each security after further thought was what I was thinking I needed to do. I always create a backup file before I do anything.

Thanks again

This discussion has been closed.