Quicken Classic Premier Windows not adding Gold to portfolio. Version R57.16 Build 27.1.57.16

paulbdiver
paulbdiver Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
edited July 18 in Investing (Windows)

I've seen in serveral threads that we should be able to have quicken track gold and sivlver using sympols that begin with ^. When I try to add ^XAUUSD for gold, it doesn't find it initially and i have to use the next prompt to "Add Security to Quicken". When I do this, it finds in the symols list, I select, and then I get a message that quicken will add it. I say "done" and then it adds nothing and I'm back to where I started. My Quicen is current on updates. Did it work before? Has it stopped working? Any ideas?

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18

not sure of your method - but here is what I did for our silver coins -
    1 - added each of the new "^" securities to the Add Security list - to represent the 1oz price of each precious metal
    2 - created a manual Quicken asset account -
    3 - added silver coins to the Quicken account - using the concept of 1 share = 1oz ….
    So each 1oz coin was 1 share, and a 5oz bar was 5 shares

ALSO - if you have this account setup as Separate or Hidden - then the Holdings will NOT show any of the ^silver holdings

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@paulbdiver OK, you added gold to your security list … but did you BUY, or ADD, Gold to your holdings in an account in Q?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• paulbdiver
    paulbdiver Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I think i may have figured it out. I had previously used a ticker of GLD with the security name Gold with current holdoing. I think it was failing to add the new one because Gold was already in use. An error message would have been helpful vs. just nothing happeining.

I just modified the changed the ticker from GLD to ^XAUUSD and i think i'm good now.

Thanks all for your input!!

• q_lurker
    q_lurker Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I say "done" and then it adds nothing and I'm back to where I started.

Usually when that “adds nothing” happens, it is because a security already exists with that name or with that ticker in your file. Make sure you are viewing hidden securities in your security list.

This discussion has been closed.